Discuss Sealant around bath against travertine in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JulesA

Hi

I've looked and looked and I couldn't find an answer. But I'm happy to just be referred to an existing thread if I've missed it.

I need to replace the sealant around the bath. But the fact it's against travertine seems to make it tricky. I thought I could just buy any sealant until I noticed on the tube I'd picked up it said not to use with natural stone. Topps Tiles said not to worry, to just use anything, but when I called their helpline they said to make sure I used a neutral-curing one.

I've found a few posts where people recommend neutral-curing sealant, but apparently there are some neutral-curing ones you can't use. According to the technical specs anyway. I found Soudal Silirub+, but the S8000 that you can buy in Screwfix says not to use it on natural stone. It specifies Silirub+ S8800 for that, but I can't find where to buy it! And someone recommended Mapei Mapesil, but in their technical spec it says it's suitable for natural stone but that it might stain porous stone; so can you or can't you! And where do you buy it?!

I just want to replace the sealant without messing up the tiles!!

Hope someone who has had experience with using them can help.

Thanks

Jules

O

One Day

Stonetools.com sell Ottoseal S70 for natural stone.
I use it and it's very good.

I

IHB

Ottoseal S70 also from Broken Link Removed. Excellent stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JulesA

Thanks everyone

Can I check that someone recommending Mapesil meant Mapesil LM: Broken Link Removed Seems to be the stone one. Although the spec doesn't mention using around baths. I like it when the spec confirms what I want to do with it!

Or the Ottoseal S70 sounds good.

Looks like whichever one I go with I'll have to order it online though. Unless anyone knows of a London shop where I can buy them? None of the chain trade places, never mind DIY, seem to sell any to use with stone.

Thanks

Jules

Last edited by a moderator:
O

One Day

Don't use MapeiSil - even LM (low modulus)
Use the proper gear for a proper job.
MapeiSil is ok but not for stone.

O

One Day

Ottoseal S70 is cheaper and far better.
The risk with these "in-between" types like Mapeisil is a risk of silicones in solution staining the stone.
With specific sealants like Otto there is no risk.
It's also very thick and REALLY easy to apply.
Seriously - try it!

Reply to Sealant around bath against travertine in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks