Discuss Screwing hardi backer in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Now usually I always use my impact driver to drive screws in hardi but I had the idea of getting some collated wood screws for my hilti collated driver and i tell'ya what I'm never goin back I screwdriver down 10 hardi board in about 3 mins flat and u can set the depth so the counter sink perfect I'd recommend if u fit a lot of hardI invest in a hilti SD 5000 and SMD 57 collated attachment u won't regret it

Reaction score
Been doing that too recently with my Bosch 10.8v drywall gun with collated attachment, been using 25mm drywalls to good effect.

Reaction score
Do you not find that the dry walls screw heads shear off?? Turbo golds for me.

Left this for a while before replying as thinking about it I had only used the drywalls on ply and on insulation boards but knew I had a bathroom floor to do using hardibacker 6mm - did it today using the drywalls and every screw went in fine with no sheared heads.

A

AndY mac

Drywall screws to brittle wouldn't recommend using them to fix anything to a floor. If you screw one straight threw a stick then tap the end with a hammer you'll see how easy they snap.

D

Dumbo

Now usually I always use my impact driver to drive screws in hardi but I had the idea of getting some collated wood screws for my hilti collated driver and i tell'ya what I'm never goin back I screwdriver down 10 hardi board in about 3 mins flat and u can set the depth so the counter sink perfect I'd recommend if u fit a lot of hardI invest in a hilti SD 5000 and SMD 57 collated attachment u won't regret it
I'm going to get my makita collated screw gun out again had lots of trouble with it jamming but was told to lube it . Hope it does the trick . Has any body had problems with makita collated screwdriver.

F

Flintstone

Left this for a while before replying as thinking about it I had only used the drywalls on ply and on insulation boards but knew I had a bathroom floor to do using hardibacker 6mm - did it today using the drywalls and every screw went in fine with no sheared heads.

I wouldn't use them on any flooring, as said, they snap far too easily.

Reaction score
Yes they do snap, if you hit them with a big hammer ;)

Shear strength isn't great with drywalls (sideways pressure) and most other screws too for that matter, but shear strength isn't much of a consideration on a floor or ceiling as lateral movement sufficient to snap the fixings is practically non existent. They don't seem to have too much trouble holding up ceilings including the heavy weight stuff like fire protection and sound block boards and besides, I doubt you could get the Hardi up very easily once it's been stuck down with rapid set on a suitably primed floor.

The way I see it is there is only the potential for screws snapping if there is LOTS of lateral movement between the original floor and backer boards and that's doubtful when the job is done right.

A

AndY mac

Doing the job right starts from using the proper materials for the job in hand. Not only are the drywall screws not spec for the job the are incredibly alkaline sensitive so not only do you have to worry about there strength they have other issues

F

Flintstone

Personally I would rather just spend the extra £1 and use the propper screws instead of some brittle cheap ones that are meant for holding up a bit of plasterboard

Reply to Screwing hardi backer in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks