Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss sandstone sealant problem in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I am laying Indian Riven Rainbow sandstone on the ground both inside and out but am getting conflicting advice about when to seal.
On the one hand I am told to wait for several weeks for efflorescence before sealing but on the other I am told to seal before grouting to avoid 'picture frame' staining.
No one can give me a definitive answer and the tiles are ready to go.
can any one help?

G

Gall.B

Was always taught to seal before laying & after grouting. dont know if everyone is of this opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Use of a fast setting grout should make sure of no picture framing.. as for Efflorescence this will occur no matter if you seal or not..if the salts are there..

U

user123

Use of a fast setting grout should make sure of no picture framing.. as for Efflorescence this will occur no matter if you seal or not..if the salts are there..

I've seen this, - what causes it??

U

user123

Moisture/wetting from the grout.. water ingress and the colour from the grout can stain.. hence use one suitable for light to translucent stones..

So, in theory, if you applied a penetrating sealer first, that should stop it, no matter what stone? Is that a fair assumption?

Reply to sandstone sealant problem in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock