Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss sanding travertine ? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
hi i have been to see a customer who asked me if i could remove the lips off her travertine floor installed a few weeks ago , probably not that many but upto 3 mm difference in tile level , brick bond joints , 600 x 400 middle of the road quality ,, just wondered if they can be ground down or sanded ? not something i have ever had to do so any advice would be appreciated,, thanks in advance :smilewinkgrin:

OP
D

DHTiling

You really need the machinery for this job..

This might help show what is involved..

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some threads related to cleaning travertine. Not all threads will be current discussion but if you would like to reply with some information, go ahead, it may be valuable to somebody in the future. Tile Cleaning and Tile Restoration Forum

OP
A

Amir Patwa

Klindex run a free training in floor restoration which includes grinding(sanding)
Next course is on 28th August in Staines. They run a course every month
Contact me via PM for details.

Hope this is useful

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

Amir Patwa

hi i have been to see a customer who asked me if i could remove the lips off her travertine floor installed a few weeks ago , probably not that many but upto 3 mm difference in tile level , brick bond joints , 600 x 400 middle of the road quality ,, just wondered if they can be ground down or sanded ? not something i have ever had to do so any advice would be appreciated,, thanks in advance :smilewinkgrin:
An easy process to rectify the problem

OP
F

Flintstone

I know a man who had to rectify some poor travetine mosaic in a bathroom due to it being poorly fitted, he made a little cubicle around him with polythene and spent the day with the grinder with rubber backing and various sand papers and got it all flat. Not something i would fancy but anything is possible as it's the same material all the way through ofcourse

OP
A

Amir Patwa

I know a man who had to rectify some poor travetine mosaic in a bathroom due to it being poorly fitted, he made a little cubicle around him with polythene and spent the day with the grinder with rubber backing and various sand papers and got it all flat. Not something i would fancy but anything is possible as it's the same material all the way through ofcourse
It is feasible to grind and repolish a small bathroom with a hand polisher! But you may need a swing machine to carry similar procedure on floor using abrasives and water to cut down on dust!

OP
A

Amir Patwa

You really need the machinery for this job..

This might help show what is involved..
A good skirting would help to stop the slurry from splashing the walls! An added weight would fasten the process! The operator is hastening the process! If he slowed down moving from left o right his productivity would increase a lot!

Reply to sanding travertine ? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock