Discuss Retiling the bathroom - strip or leave? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm renovating a house and have recently focused on the bathroom. (Photos attached/below). I've moved the stud wall so the basin isn't right in front of the door, stripped the old tiles which were only 3-4 rows up from the bath and scrapped off all the horrible green paint (which was also on the ceiling!!) back to the skim plaster.

My aim is to fully tile the back wall and in the corner above the bath (where the shower will be) Then either half tile or fully skim and paint the other 2 walls.

I've read 101 forum posts here and elsewhere and generally:
- Some say just strip all the plaster off and use wedi, aqua board etc or just MR Plasterboard and tank it
- Some say render the areas which have come off, prime it, tank the shower end and tile
- Some say aqua still needs tanking and isn't necessary for domestic or above the bath?

I think it comes down to how sound the old plaster it, it doesn't sound hollow and most of it stayed on the wall when crowbarring off the old tiles! So I guess as long as the tiles are under 20kg/sqm in weight, leaving the old plaster up is viable, what do you think?

Appreciate any advice.
Cheers

IMG_2165.jpg IMG_2164.jpg IMG_2163.jpg

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Seeing as you've got the room that far personally it knock the rest of that Plaster off and dab new board on, in the shower area I'd use backer board (what ever brand you choose) and Plaster board on the rest. Then get it skimmed as per your choice of where the tiling finishes (half way etc) ready for paint

A

A williams

Couldn't have put it better!!
Yes you require 80% there might as well do the extra
Get it right && make the tiling easy for yourself! :)

Again well put ttt

N

NZ_Tiler

Hi,
I'm renovating a house and have recently focused on the bathroom. (Photos attached/below). I've moved the stud wall so the basin isn't right in front of the door, stripped the old tiles which were only 3-4 rows up from the bath and scrapped off all the horrible green paint (which was also on the ceiling!!) back to the skim plaster.

My aim is to fully tile the back wall and in the corner above the bath (where the shower will be) Then either half tile or fully skim and paint the other 2 walls.

I've read 101 forum posts here and elsewhere and generally:
- Some say just strip all the plaster off and use wedi, aqua board etc or just MR Plasterboard and tank it
- Some say render the areas which have come off, prime it, tank the shower end and tile
- Some say aqua still needs tanking and isn't necessary for domestic or above the bath?

I think it comes down to how sound the old plaster it, it doesn't sound hollow and most of it stayed on the wall when crowbarring off the old tiles! So I guess as long as the tiles are under 20kg/sqm in weight, leaving the old plaster up is viable, what do you think?

Appreciate any advice.
Cheers

Well done on your homework.

Yes it is viable. The plaster would need to be well primed (not with pva!).

As above though best to start from scratch. Crunch the numbers and see if your budget can allow for the piece of mind.

Reaction score
Thanks guy, really appreciate your input and advice.
This week I researched the board (wedi & marmox totally waterproof, no tanking etc).
Dob, dab and then fix through dobs etc. Single part bagged mapei adhesive etc.

All ready with a crowbar half hour ago and thought like the rest of the house the old plaster would just fall off!

Hell no, this is stuck quite solid. Infact I'd say it's been redone at some stage with hardwall and skimmed.
See the pic, it took some effort to even get a hole!

The old green bit on the left comes off easily as that's the bedroom wall where I moved the stud. everything else pass the old stud line.

Hmm... maybe I should decide on the tiles, see if they are under 20kg before deciding if to hack it all off!? If the tiles are under 20 might be worth prime, tank and tile?
Also the bonus is I'm not losing anothe half inch off the room.

Downside is as you say, not so easy to tile and have to make sure any bits which are re rendered are flat

IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

Reaction score
Ps budget is fine, time is more scarce but I'm a perfectionist and like to do things properly but still weigh up what's sensible in each situation.

Reply to Retiling the bathroom - strip or leave? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks