Discuss Resin topped porcelain in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hmtiling

Hello all. Got some chunky 14mmx600x1200 porc that looks like it's got a resin top 3/4mm which is meant to look like stone. There are some small holes in the top bit which i'm going to gout and the client has been given kf satin stop to seal. Will do a little test tomorrow but has anyone used tiles like this before?
Cheers guys

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

sounds like double loaded porcelain 4 mm layer or quailty porcelain on top with cheaper clinker
porcelain on bottom .the top coat resin ones you dont seal as it can eat the resin and its all ready sealed by its
nature .picture would help .

H

hmtiling

sounds like double loaded porcelain 4 mm layer or quailty porcelain on top with cheaper clinker
porcelain on bottom .the top coat resin ones you dont seal as it can eat the resin and its all ready sealed by its
Thanks Ray. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

H

hmtiling

You are bang on Ray. It's layered porcelain. Just found out that from supplier. Looks like resin because of the small holes in the top layer to mimic stone. Pencil marks aren't easy to get off at the moment and I'm pretty sure the kf stain stop isn't the right sealant for this stuff. Ltp say mattstone, what do you lot say?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

when it comes to sealing get the supplier to spec that for you then its on there shoulders not yours .
there have been big problems cutting this type of tile .and thats what you need to check out how well they
cut . you may find yourself cutting every one on a wet saw .a lot will depend on the quality of the base layer
if you can see little black specs in base layer you may have a hard time and need a lot more wastage .

H

hmtiling

when it comes to sealing get the supplier to spec that for you then its on there shoulders not yours .
there have been big problems cutting this type of tile .and thats what you need to check out how well they
cut . you may find yourself cutting every one on a wet saw .a lot will depend on the quality of the base layer
if you can see little black specs in base layer you may have a hard time and need a lot more wastage .
I asked the supplier about sealant and they said it didn't need it. I pretty sure they do as a pencil mark is really difficult to get off.
They,suprisingly, cut really well on a tx and very cleanly with a grinder too.
Really concerned about the sealant though as they're in shower cubicles.

Reply to Resin topped porcelain in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks