Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing Squaredged tile-trim. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Steve

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have a customer who has had a bathroom tiled with some of it only half tiled 2 months ago , she has decided that she wants it all tiled . Has anyone got a proven method for removing square edged trim without chipping or loosening the existing tiles so I can fully tile it . There 660x300 porcelain so removing any would not be what I want to do as would possibly tear up plasterboard etc , advice ????

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have a customer who has had a bathroom tiled with some of it only half tiled 2 months ago , she has decided that she wants it all tiled . Has anyone got a proven method for removing square edged trim without chipping or loosening the existing tiles so I can fully tile it . There 660x300 porcelain so removing any would not be what I want to do as would possibly tear up plasterboard etc , advice ????

I would try , multi tool with appropriate blade. Or try angle grinder, with a steady hand. :cool:

OP
S

Steve

TF
Reaction score
I have multi tool , what is appropriate blade tho ? Have Makita grinder too but need steady hand eh not to chip any !!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Last time I removed some trim I just used a Stanley knife.......worked a treat, just be carefull you don't cut yourself...

Probably get forum members posting you pictures of there Stanley knife injuries, just to emphasise the BE CAREFULL bit...:)

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am assuming it's metal square edge trim in which case a hammer and strong sturdy scraper.

OP
S

Steve

TF
Reaction score
No , it's metal , so the trim is tight to the porcelain , not sure I will be able to safely prize the trim away from porcelain if the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ has got it good without damaging anything .

OP
S

Steve

TF
Reaction score
If I can prize the trim from the porcelain I can cut it with a Makita no prob , it's gettin it away th hard bit .

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cut from the top like Bob said. Don't need to prising anything out

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How's about buy more trim, a nice border tile and make a nice feature of it.
I done it in my bathroom with a vertical feature tile and metal trims separating feature tile from the rest.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think go with the angle grinder,angled at approximately 45 degrees aiming for back (wall edge of trim) , and finish into corners, with multi tool with metal cutter blade, or dremel with cutting disc. - if you have one.

Cheers.

Reply to Removing Squaredged tile-trim. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock