Discuss remove kitchen floor tiles - SLC or remove adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

ashhorner

Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right forum...looking for guidance from professionals as to what the usual approach would be.

I am getting my kitchen floor re-tiled, the floor is currently tiled over a concrete base.

Will a professional tiler scrape the old adhesive off so that the base is flat or use SLC?

Thanks,

Ashley

O

Old Mod

A combination possibly, depends on height restrictions, how well the old adhesive is stuck and if there are any time or budget restrictions.
But be sure that all loose and flakey adhesive is removed before its levelled.
The best thing to do however, is to remove it.

Q

Qwerty

As above. Slate is one of the worst tiles to take up (assuming they were fixed correctly in the first place). You may want to consider hiring a breaker. This is one I worked on two weeks ago...

IMG-20170104-WA0000.jpeg

A

ashhorner

thanks for the advice - tiles aren't slate, just ceramic.

no height restrictions really (but as always there are budget restrictions), just want to make sure the job is done properly.

Q

Qwerty

Hahaha!! Apologies...I read a post about slate and assumed it was yours! Put it down to my age and that im poorly at the mo. A decent sds with a chisel attachment should suffice with taking full up your ceramic tiles & adhesive

Reply to remove kitchen floor tiles - SLC or remove adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks