Discuss really bad sloping concrete floor ,could a tiler fix it ? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

col Mack

I've moved into a 60s built bungalow with concrete floors. At some point it has had an extension at the back which added on around 6ft to the kitchen.
The floor in the extended area is level but in the original part it drops down and slopes . It drops by around an inch over 8 ft down to the level of the hall floor.
The kitchen has been tiled in the past and the tiles slope quite drastically but there is no sign of them cracking so I am praying that the original floor has settled many years ago and is now stable.
Is this a job that a decent tiler could sort out or would a builder have to level the concrete floor first before having the floor retiled.
Looking around the rest of the house the floors all seem to have had levelling compound poured but it would appear to be a poor job with humps and dips .
The bathroom runs parallel with the kitchen has also been tiled and is similar to the kitchen floor level with a drop of around an inch down to the hall level .
The Previous owner was old and I think the builder just did a rush job on the floor not taking the time to ensure that it was level all over.
I am hoping that this is a common problem with bungalows of this age and can be fixed by a tiler
thanks for any answers

C

col Mack

Thanks Martyn& Bond . I reckon the hallway floor could do with a raise and levelling but that might lead to me having to raise the floors in all the bedrooms so I was hoping to sort out the kitchen initially ,( I have so much work to do at the moment) having looked at it with a long straight edge the tiles dip down then come up again slightly at the door into the hall I will see if I can find a local tiler to look at it see if he can do the job , having just moved into the area I will need to seek out a tiler .reassuring if a tiler could make a decent levellish floor in the kitchen. thanks for your replies

D

Dumbo

Any body who is good with levelling won't get it levellish they should get it level .

Reaction score
If the kitchen was lower you could bring it up level to match hall.But to level the kitchen up (which would be easy) you will then have the 25mm that you have raised the floor by to make it level at the entry to the hall.
1.So you either have to slope the last row of tiles down to meet hall way.
2.Put a timber fillet accross the dloor way to make a ramp
3.depending on whats in the hall take the slope out under the carpet with flc.
4.Grind the rest of the floor down to match hall height(new other problems will be created where the concrete meets wall cabinets etc)

5.Maybe a combination of all of the above.

But without getting someone to actually around to have a look all this is juat guessing.

Reply to really bad sloping concrete floor ,could a tiler fix it ? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks