Discuss Rats ! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazzer

Anyone know about rats ? I am talking the vermin type not pets.

it seems that they have been seen around teh row of houses where I live. Now thinking sensibly , you would think that there will only be rats where there is something for them...ie, Food.

My neighbour has Rabbits and a Guinea pig and also a fish pond. Now I reckon the smell of pet food and the fact that she is throwing bread on her lawn for the birds is attracting them. She has agred to stop the bread throwing as she doesnt want rats either.

Now next to our houses is a large house that has been converted to flats and this is where I think the are coming from and using our back gardens to nest as its quieter.

Last year one of the neighbours called the council out and a man came and laid poison for them. It worked...well at least once as I found the dead rat feet up on my lawn. That was the last we saw of them until now. So looking up on the internet I see there are mixed views of how to get rid of them, ie , trap or poison ! My thoughts are to cut off the food supply bafore going crazy. One neighbour thinks he can shoot them with an air rifle !! i wonder if he is going to sit up all night waiting for them ?

Anyone else had this problem ? Its not nice to admit there are rats around your home.

D

doug boardley

apparently Neale, you're never more than 6 feet away from a rat (if popular myth is to be believed)

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i think cutting of the food supply is a start , rats breed at an alarming rate, do you know any one with working terriers they might do the job

H

hillhead

I built my house in the country on a site where I lived as a child,
I remember rats here as we had pigs etc at the time.
Now here we have no pigs but the rats are close by, they don't come near us as we have 4 cats ! Great hunters and nothing comes here.
Works for us anyway.
I seen terriers killing rats well on tv a while back, really well too!

M

Mike

there's always rats around, as rob said don't feed them and put poison down. october time is the worst time for them, they're looking for somewere indoors to live then as the winters setting in

D

doug boardley

we have hens and I normally scatter the pellets in their coop, never seen a rat or sign of a rat thereabouts.......but maybe the three ferrets are deterring them!:smilewinkgrin:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
make sure you havn't got any ivy running up the side of the house or they can climb up and get in your house.

G

Gazzer

there's always rats around, as rob said don't feed them and put poison down. october time is the worst time for them, they're looking for somewere indoors to live then as the winters setting in

I dont intend to feed them unless its lead pellets or the poison.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Poison the bu**ers. You poinsoning one colony will not affect the overall population very much. Do you have Kids......think about Leptspirosis as well.

We had rats - It's nowt to be ashamed of - the council Pest Controller sorted them and touch wood we have not had a problem since.

Cutting off the food supply only works if this is overt, i.e. if you chuck out the remnants of sunday dinner for the "birds" and that sort of thing. Most rats live in sewers and near water courses. when there are floods or drouts they are forced out of their homes to forage elsewhere. once they have colonised the only realistic way to treat is to kill the blighters.

G

Gazzer

Poison the bu**ers. You poinsoning one colony will not affect the overall population very much. Do you have Kids......think about Leptspirosis as well.

We had rats - It's nowt to be ashamed of - the council Pest Controller sorted them and touch wood we have not had a problem since.

Cutting off the food supply only works if this is overt, i.e. if you chuck out the remnants of sunday dinner for the "birds" and that sort of thing. Most rats live in sewers and near water courses. when there are floods or drouts they are forced out of their homes to forage elsewhere. once they have colonised the only realistic way to treat is to kill the blighters.

Its getting a poison that they like the taste of. I have no issues in destroying them by any means !

Reaction score
my mate had them in his loft he trapped one and decided to dispatch it by airgun

now he is a pretty crap shot at the best of times but even i though he could of sorted it in less than 8 shots

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Its getting a poison that they like the taste of. I have no issues in destroying them by any means !

not something you will be able to do yourself generally. The poisons you can buy from the likes of hardware shops is generally not very effective. It has been around so long and is diluted so much that it does not do them much harm. Rats are very robust and adaptable....hence they have survived so well.....and if you have a colony nesting where they should not be nesting you will be best to get a registered pest controller involved.

Reply to Rats ! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks