Discuss Raimondi levelling pegs tested on a recent job in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jeff the tiler

Hey all. I said I would post my experience using Raimondi floor levelling pegs. Got a complete set from Kwik splt what i thought would do the job for a 34 metre floor using 60 x 30 porcelain tiles, so 500 3mm base clips and 200 wedges. I would say the cost was was around the £80 mark. Sounds expensive but purchased with a Pull rapid washboy and a few other bits and so got some discount which helped.

So new pliers boxes of clips and wedges and away I went.

Initially broke a few clips by not getting the pressure correct on the pliers and some of the clips seemed to snap of their own accord which was not great.

Then over time i got the feel of the pressure and how many clicks [3 generally]you could push the wedge into the clip [serated top edge of the wedge clicks as you push it into the clip] I started to really see the benefit of the system. I lifted a couple of tiles to check if it was creating air gaps but it seemed fine. An important point is the clips are there to make slight adjustment in height so you stil have to get the tile pretty level first. if you try to pull up to much
difference the clips will break as the suction of adhesive creates to much pressure.

I would say the main benefit was that over the 34 metres I did not have to lift a tile to re bed and over the the whole job would say I saved a good few hours in time making sure everyhting was perfectly flat and level. So just in man hours I would say they paid for themselves. I know some will be reading this saying i can get a perfectly flat floor without these but honestly, and i am not promoting Raimondi as there are others out there, they certainly help me do the job quicker than by the traditinal method of eye, straight edge and spirit level.

I am old school and quite reluctant to change but this is a product i will definately use again on domestic price work even if i can not pass on the cost just in man hours saved it covers the cost.

I am trying them on 60 x 60 next week and, also have some Australian Atr levelling pegs so hopefully will be able to post a thread comparing them next week.

If you have any questions let me know and i will try to answer if I can

2013-01-10 14.24.06.jpg 2013-01-12 10.15.30.jpg 2013-01-12 14.36.50.jpg

W

waterfd

How did you find the kicking off of the wedges did they come clean or did you have to go over the grout line getting some out?

B

Bubblecraft

I was interested in getting this exact system but think you've now sold it to me. Might go ahead & give it a whirl this year

F

Fliselege

Using them at the mo, clips could do with being a tad stronger, bit too weak but good system when you get used to it. one of the labourers accidently trod on a brand new bag of clips I'd set down next to me and was just about to start using, there wern't many survivors. Could have knocked him spark out but he's bigger than me.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Jeff can I ask where did you get the atr system from I do fancy a go with them as youve only got the one clip on the tile edges.

R

rainsco

hallo, i saw the raimondi video and i thought to myself on a small format its a lot of work to install it and to get rid of it and sort the white from the red ones.
so can you tell me how long do you take for the floor (alone?) and what kind of screed was it?
i never saw the result live but if the screed is not ultraflat and one tile ist to deep and you push the tiles with force there must be spots without adhesive? i can imagine but i think in future, about 20 years or something when we do some renovations it would be special to find a floor without using plastik? i hope this system isn´t as easy to install and get a perfekt surface like click parquet.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Theres a new video on utube like the atr system tried to upload it but just cant get the hang of it.have got the hang now

Last edited:

afright

TF
Reaction score
[video=youtube;GkGkZo-fReU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGkZo-fReU[/video] I think this is from Canada.

Last edited:
C

charlie1

Interesting use of the word 'level'. Also, i think that one would break a lot of travertine.

H

hillhead

I have a brother who works for an inventive engineering company, I must show him these clips etc to see what they make of it from that angle.
Crazy price for them all IMO.
I have some Genesis ones but haven't tried them enough really.

G

glasgow_tiler

these maybe good for a floor that is completly flat and dosnt need any building up but again i just dont see the need for these as its not as easy as just sticking the tile down and screwing these pegs on but if it helps folk out then cool

J

Jeff the tiler

Hey, Glasgow tiler I have been able to try on a small area where I needed to build up by 25mm or so, the clips were fine but I agree they are not for everyone, on large commercial work completely impractical on a financial basis.

One thing to add I have been able to use the wedges three times over so far but I think that probably about it with them as the serrated top edges are showing wear now.

Again I would like to stress so far only tried on porcelain so can not give a view on other tiles i.e travertine etc.

For me the pegs are not there to level the floor they lessen the chance of lippage when the adhesive is drying back. The clips will not pull a tile up or down by huge amounts so the adhesive contact should not be broken as the clips will break if you squeeze the wedge in with to much force

Reaction score
Well done Jeff ! and thanks for the write -up from a truly independent source M8, as so many write -up have to be taken with a pinch or bucket of salt as they are bias in the fact that the writers are getting freebies .....lol

Reply to Raimondi levelling pegs tested on a recent job in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks