Discuss Quartz floor tile sealing in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Graham55

Hi,
First post here. My name is Graham and I'm widening my DIY skills on my house in Kent.

I have tiled the kitchen walls with a mirrored Quartz tile from a popular tile chain. I bought the adhesive and grout from them as they recommended. We have since decided to replace the slate floor tiles with a similar Quartz tile.

My question is this:-
It was suggested I would need to put an additive into the adhesive (diluted with the water) to stop the tiles soaking up the water and bowing and also a sealer before grouting (black tile / white grout). All of which add a considerable amount to the cost. Is it possible to seal the backs and cut edges of the tile with something before fitting, like a PVA or similar, or just suck it up and pay the £100+ for the chemicals???

Graham

O

One Day

Easy answer Graham and I think you know it!
Suck it up!

Adhesive-wise you could use a low water adhesive like BAL Stone and Tile PTB, which is a lot cheaper than a bag and bottle combination. Call BAL technical line to check suitability though - I'm 99% certain it will be fine.

Sealant, I would contact Universeal (google them) for advice. If you get the sealing wrong, you will ruin the tiles.

PVA?! No place in tiling - ever. Forget PVA!

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Graham.

Easy answer Graham and I think you know it!
Suck it up!

Adhesive-wise you could use a low water adhesive like BAL Stone and Tile PTB, which is a lot cheaper than a bag and bottle combination. Call BAL technical line to check suitability though - I'm 99% certain it will be fine.

Sealant, I would contact Universeal (google them) for advice. If you get the sealing wrong, you will ruin the tiles.

PVA?! No place in tiling - ever. Forget PVA!

Thankfully you beat me to it Mark :) as above :arrowup::arrowup:
Any under floor heating?
Isomats AK megarapid bottle and bag is a slow set with very high yield, which makes it very cost effective.

G

Graham55

No underfloor heating

Sucking it up!!!!!

Thanks chaps....

It just occurred to me that it was worth checking with the 'guys in the know' rather than accepting all the "you'll need one of these" up sells!!

I'll get all the bits from the same place so I know they are compatible and if not I can go back!!

Thanks again, I'll no doubt have further questions soon.

Graham

O

Old Mod

It was suggested I would need to put an additive into the adhesive (diluted with the water) to stop the tiles soaking up the water and bowing and also a sealer before grouting

Graham

Be curious to know what they're telling you before you buy Graham.

T

Tile Shop

Bal's advise is that PTB Stone and tile which normally only needs 4 litres of water, for quartz, sub 1 litre of water with 1 litre of AD1.

So one bag to 3l water and 1l admix.

Reply to Quartz floor tile sealing in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks