Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss pva in grout in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Has anyone ever heard of mixing pva with grout. Ive heard its supposed to minimise cracks, where the tiles are already laid onto suspect substrates.

OP
I

IGTiling

Never heard of that before and personally wouldn't recommend it, the PVA could adversely affect the properties of the grout. If you're going to put anything in then buy a proper grout additive, PVA is wood glue.

OP
I

Ian

As above, that is not a good plan. There are flexible grouts on the market that have additives in them already. And finally, you should not be laying on suspect substrates!!!!!!!!!

OP
L

Little5

Im not doing the job, i heard it from another tiler who got it from a manufacturer !!!!!, Im a good boy wouldnt tile on anything thinner than 18mm ply or cement :thumbsup:

OP
U

user123

Yes, I have heard it, too, many many times, there are youtube videos on it primarily aimed at the artistic mosaicist, it is meant to make the grout smoother to mix, it is written about in books, and passed on on forums and it's just rubbish.

Yes, you can add aditional latex SBR (which is not PVA) if extra flexibility is required for situations where there is a lot of vibration for example, but pva is a glue that is flexible while wet, so is of absolutely no use as a "rubberiser" when dry. One of those stupid stupid rumours. :thumbsdown:

OP
D

doug boardley

Never heard of that before and personally wouldn't recommend it, the PVA could adversely affect the properties of the grout. If you're going to put anything in then buy a proper grout additive, PVA is wood glue.
spoken just like one of our old most trusted members sWe, great reply:thumbsup:

OP
G

Gazzer

Bal GT1 admix, Biscem flex bond are a couple that can be added to give grout a certain amount of flexibilty

OP
M

Mortarforker

I would not use any additive in an already modified grout. Too much additive leads to trouble..Latex leaching..A white residue on the grout..I just follow the bags instructions..I have also heard story's of adding sealer to the grout mix..:smilewinkgrin:

OP
D

doug boardley

Mortarforker;537976[I said:
]I would not use any additive in an already modified grout[/I]. Too much additive leads to trouble..Latex leaching..A white residue on the grout..I just follow the bags instructions..I have also heard story's of adding sealer to the grout mix..:smilewinkgrin:
I totally agree Don, however OP hasn't stated that it's a modified grout...still pva in a tile environment, just bin it!

OP
M

Mortarforker

Mosaic Girl, It sounds like concrete bonding liquid..Bond new concrete to old with the primer..AKA Weldbond..I got it now..Thanks.

OP
U

user123

Oh, you're confusing me now, I thought Weldbond was Polyvinyl Acetate, the woodglue? I only know of it as my mosaic friends in America use it ... yes, this is the link... same stuff then... FAQ | WELDBOND® I had never heard it being called concrete bonding liquid before.. anyhow, bedtime for me.. :)

Reply to pva in grout in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock