Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Protecting floorboards in a listed building in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

BoldreChris

Please checkout the following advertisement.
We will be tile 3 bathrooms in a grade 2 listed building next month. Two of them are upstairs and have rather uneven old floorboards. As those boards are part of the "historic fabric" I cannot damage them with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ of any kind so I have to overboard them, again without https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. I think this rules out anything but ply (which I can nail down, not screw). The rooms are both 3.6x1.7m and the tiles are porcelain "wood" planks. I can't trim the bottoms off the doors either (of course) so I've got about 20mm height to play with and 10mm thick tiles.

Anybody got any better ideas for this project ?

OP
C

Concrete guy

I thought Grade 2 was more concerned with the outside of the building I'm surprised it extends to doors and floorboards. I thought that was Grade 1.

When dealing with listed properties don't assume or guess anything, get it cleared beforehand in writing.

peteablard

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd ply it and fit Amtico or Karndean plank tiles down. I wouldn't want to fit anything else to a substrate that's only nailed down

OP
B

BoldreChris

Listed is Listed, ATS. It applies to the whole of the building, inside and out, visible and invisible, apparently. My customer has the spec in writing from his property lawyer with what we can and can't do laid out in stark detail. We couldn't even fit downlighters into the kitchen ceiling but we were allowed to use exposed cans and just put one screw plus the wire through.

I think Amtico, etc. is an excellent idea, Pete. Almost as hard to do well as tile! But, a lot thinner so I could use much thicker ply.

OP
J

J Sid

Listed is Listed, ATS. It applies to the whole of the building, inside and out, visible and invisible, apparently. My customer has the spec in writing from his property lawyer with what we can and can't do laid out in stark detail. We couldn't even fit downlighters into the kitchen ceiling but we were allowed to use exposed cans and just put one screw plus the wire through.

I think Amtico, etc. is an excellent idea, Pete. Almost as hard to do well as tile! But, a lot thinner so I could use much thicker ply.
think your wrong on that, maybe on a grade 2* but not on a basic grade 2 listed building. Worked on loads for private and builders.
say that, do as customer instructed.

OP
B

BoldreChris

A short quote from the Historic England (Was English Heritage) guidance....

Any alteration that affects the
character or appearance of a
listed building, whether internal
or external, requires listed building
consent. There is a common but
wrong belief that there is no listed
building control inside a Grade
II listed building. Listed building
control is equally applied to all
grades of listed building.

Take care when hacking about (or just tile !) a listed building. Getting it wrong is a criminal offence !

OP
J

J Sid

A short quote from the Historic England (Was English Heritage) guidance....

Any alteration that affects the
character or appearance of a
listed building, whether internal
or external, requires listed building
consent. There is a common but
wrong belief that there is no listed
building control inside a Grade
II listed building. Listed building
control is equally applied to all
grades of listed building.

Take care when hacking about (or just tile !) a listed building. Getting it wrong is a criminal offence !
I understand what your saying, but never take a meaning from a snippet of text. Read the whole documents, will be exceptions and permitted changes somewhere in the whole documents.

Reply to Protecting floorboards in a listed building in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock