Discuss Progressive hole in porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

1animal1

thanks for the tip! But.... my walls are 3 pieces of plasterboard D&Dabbed, 19mm thick each. I've already gone into 2 boards, cutting into the next is likely to go through potentially - and given my insulation boards/electric mat and screed are now laid, I'm not sure i can get the pipe to push back that far :)

O

Old Mod

Alternately, you could have foregone the radiator and fitted Schluter's Ditra Heat or Ditra Heat TB to the walls and had heated walls instead of a great lumply bloody rad :)
Gives out 200w per/m2 and is sufficient for a primary heat source.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Quite simple if you have a grinder and an ats blade just shave the back down where required
Hi all

I am about to start laying some 600x300x10 tiles, the first 2 of which will have 15mm pipes going through them for the towel rad. The issue i have is that i am using speedfit connections which i have managed to get mostly into the wall, but have a slight protrusion where the chamfered part of the fitting sticks out, therefore i need to use my 18mm ATS bit from the front for the 15mm pipe (bit of margin for error!), then some how chamfer the back of the tile to accept the speedfit fitting - I have bought a further 32mm bit to attack the tile from behind to drill halfway, to hopefully file down - from what i am reading, filing isn't really an option for porcelain.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the way to go with this slight problem

Thanks in advance

Tim
As before ... Angle Grinder on the back.. Will work a treat.

1animal1

Thanks Gaz, it certainly did the trick... Although not having a small diamond blade, I used metal discs which have been great at cutting absolutely anything. I went through 2 on two holes!

Also my 18mm APS bit lasted just over one hole so ended up having to buy an adequate mid range £15 20mm jobby from the local tile shop...

Wondering now if I'll need something special to drill the holes for my towel radiator... I have a few small tile bits which are fine with normal tile, but will they actually touch the porcelain?

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a kit that I picked up from eBay a while back.. About £50.( various diameters)... And has been top notch for me .. Especially for Porcelain
I believe the 365 kits are good

1animal1

Na I've looked.... £75 upwards....

I'll get by with what I have for now... Just wondering about these standard bits for the smaller holes

O

Old Mod

Also my 18mm APS bit lasted just over one hole so ended up having to buy an adequate mid range £15 20mm jobby from the local tile shop...

That will be down to teqnique, every tile drill bit will be able to achieve at least 3-4 holes.
Even tho they are dry bits, they all benefit from a damp sponge being held against them.

In Topps tile they do a Rubi drill kit for £50, and it's actually worth it.
Sizes 6,8,10,12mm wax filled dry bits that have M14 threads to fit direct to angle grinders.
Not bad at all.

1animal1

I might consider that kit if these get blunt quick... The last 20mm I did earlier in the SDS, went a lot quicker for stopping and dunking in water..Defo the way forward

Reply to Progressive hole in porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks