Discuss Priming, Tanking, Sbr, Bond Meanings....? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

olly330

Can anyone help.

I understand that in wet areas before tiling the surface should be prepared correftly.

I see these terms all over to web and used interchangeably:
Primer, tanking, sbr, bond, pva and some others that sound similar.

Can anyone explain the correct procedure for preparing standard plasterboard to be tiled for use in wet areas using the above terms.

And the same again for if the plasterboard was skimmed with multi finish.

Are the products used over each other and in what order.

Thankyou

H

hmtiling

for pb in wet areas usually prime(bonding agent) then tank(waterproofing). some tanking compounds don't need priming first. it will say on packaging.
Same for skimmed pb, but be aware the hanging weight of pb is significantly reduced once skimmed. So big heavy stone or porcelain will be a no no

O

olly330

Thankyou for the quick reply.

The bathroom has new plasterboard in about half the room and old plasterboard the old tiles used to be on.

So in the wet areas for both new and old plasterboard :

Prime(bonding) then Tank

I think the dry areas of the room won't need tanking, but do they need priming? Please explain for both new and old pb

O

olly330

Thankyou.

Using metro tiles which are smallish hence may use tubbed adhesive to save mixing.

Does tubbed adhesive need primer, I read somewhere that tubbed adhesive doesn't need it

S

Stef

Do not use tubbed adhesive on top of tanking, it will be lucky to dry out.
Tubbed adhesive is a dispersion adhesive & needs somewhere for the moisture to go.
Use a good powder adhesive, there's plenty to choose from.

O

olly330

Thanks again.

Will definitely use bagged adhesive for the bath and shower area.

Is it ok to use tubbed over areas that have just been primed and not tanked

Reply to Priming, Tanking, Sbr, Bond Meanings....? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks