Discuss porcelain drill bits in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

cbmltd

I know its a question that alot of people have probably asked but can anyone recommend a bit for holes between 20-40mm
I've just tried the red rubi dry cutters on an angle grinder and on 12mm porcelain got about 8x 20mm holes is there anything better or should I stick with rubi?
Cheers
Leon

O

Old Mod

I know its a question that alot of people have probably asked but can anyone recommend a bit for holes between 20-40mm
I've just tried the red rubi dry cutters on an angle grinder and on 12mm porcelain got about 8x 20mm holes is there anything better or should I stick with rubi?
Cheers
Leon

Sounds like ur being harsh on them mate!
I get at least twice that!
Rubi suggest a dozen holes!
Do u use regular grinder or variable speed?
Regular grinders can be too aggressive.
Use a template made out of something 6 mm drill ur hole out of that first. Place ur template over ur tile and fill cavity with water and start ur grinder and don't just push through!
Use it in oval direction if u know what I mean?
Don't have rim in full contact with tile at all times, just an edge, effectively u are rolling the drill bit around the hole and keep the hole filled with water.

C

cbmltd

Cheers mate
I never used water maybe this is the reason why .
Maybe iwas being stupid with the dry cutting and self cooling description lol .
And I get what you mean by oval motion.
They seem to work better the bigger the hole.
And yes I just use a regular angle grinder maybe worth investing in a new grinder.

O

Old Mod

Cheers mate
I never used water maybe this is the reason why .
Maybe iwas being stupid with the dry cutting and self cooling description lol .
And I get what you mean by oval motion.
They seem to work better the bigger the hole.
And yes I just use a regular angle grinder maybe worth investing in a new grinder.
Cheaper way in mean time is just get a M14 bit holder that fits in a drill. U get more control for a lot less money! :)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I've got a few of the rubi ones you mention. In particular the 20mm one I've got has done well in excess of 50 holes and still going strong.
I think they're excellent. But as @3_fall says. If you go at it flat you'll go through it very very quickly.

C

cbmltd

I use the kaskade wet decks ,excellent product easy fit and excellent flow .well recommend them.
As for the tile bits think I'm goin to stick to rubi and take it easy on them.
Cheers for the advice

C

cbmltd

Yeah use megalastic and their tanking kit ,great product .
Megalastic is great as a seal if your joins are tight enough.
Expansion is great with it though.

Reply to porcelain drill bits in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks