Discuss Polishing marble skirting. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lexter

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need a bit of advice. I've been asked to add marble skirting to the floor I'm tiling. I was wondering if anyone had any tips For polishing the top of the tile that would be exposed. They don't want any beading on top to finish it of which would have made my life easy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lex

C

Concrete guy

Silicon carbide discs are the product of choice.

If it's only a few, then you'd be surprised how well a bit of wet and dry will work.

No need for diamonds for a low volume job like this.

O

Old Mod

As Alan says u can do this by hand if u wish!
U won't achieve factory finish but u'll get an accceptable finish.
U can start with a 120 or 220 grit and work up from there until u achieve the finish u want.

Lexter

TF
Reaction score
That's great, I thought I'd have to buy a new tool. I will give it a go tomorrow and see how how it goes.
If I was to get power tool for future jobs what would you recommend. Is there a kit I can buy like an orbital sander with discs?
Thanks for quick responses

I

Ian

Variable speed grinder, profiling (bullnosing) attachment and various grits of sanding pads. A fairly basic set up will cost around £300

O

Old Mod

A flex grinder polisher.
Variable speed grinder polisher
image.jpg

From Alan at ATS haha

O

Old Mod

Haha yeah make u right there, just find it easier old school haha
Did try profiling wheel, just didn't like it. Way too aggressive on limestone!
Probably work well on porcs tho!

I

Ian

Haha yeah make u right there, just find it easier old school haha
Did try profiling wheel, just didn't like it. Way too aggressive on limestone!
Probably work well on porcs tho!
How do you keep the profile so consistent by hand? That's very impressive!

O

Old Mod

Surprised they didn't do something with walls before you tiled Marc.....
Yeah I know Mark, worst of it is there's two bloody great walls to be rendered over the same stone and in two different areas.
God only knows what mess they'll make!

W

White Room

Yeah I know Mark, worst of it is there's two bloody great walls to be rendered over the same stone and in two different areas.
God only knows what mess they'll make!

Could be some bad staining if not sheeted up properly or a good bucket of water to clean up with:eek:

Reply to Polishing marble skirting. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks