Discuss Polished marble sealing in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sean SML Tiling

Im just about to do my bathroom in polished marble and its the first time ive worked with stone. Been doing research on marble amd alit of people are saying seal before and after and some saying just after. What would you guys recommend

W

White Room

I sealed after but kept everything clean..

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sean SML Tiling

Cheers mark. So you recommend cleaning back of the stone with a damp cloth too?

J

jonnyc

if marble is dry you could preseal before fixing, but time consuming.
it is easy to take any adhesive off without staining so better to wait till finished and marble dry and then seal.
i would use mn stainstop . watch you dont get runs down tiles on wall. you can buff mn stainstop with stockinette

S

Sean SML Tiling

Thanks jonny. Im really looking forward to taking this on and im glad its my bathroom as my fordt stone job. Will definitely post pics of the job and appreciate any feedback from anyone

Reaction score
Nice -one Sean ! have fun and be careful as its surprisingly fragile to work with ,and i seal after fixing but before grouting, and remember the pictures we love pictures LOL.......:)

J

J Sid

I always lay, clean and let dry, seal and let dry, grout, next day clean and then final seal when i am sure it completely dry. By far the hardest bit will be keeping everyone off it.
Enjoy.

M

m3fitter

polish the exposed edges of the tiles, prior to fixing with a Flex polisher, 340 grade then 600 grade to match the face of the tile, chamfer it slightly for a pro bespoke look, better than using trim... trims not a good look with natural stone

A

ailsa

There is no need for confusion or problems brought about by misidentification of a surface type, yet it happens all too often. If you would like to see why this is the case and how to properly identify a surfacing material.Marble Polishing Process' reduces disintegration and crumbling of the surface under hard mechanical wear and weathering. The surface becomes approximately 10 times harder than an untreated marble surface.Surface is very smooth and not very porous
Polished crystals bring out brilliant colors and grains (400 to 3500 grit to polish stone)
Shine comes from the natural reflection of the stone’s crystals
Polish can wear away due to heavy foot traffic and improper maintenance

F

Flintstone

I usually seal it once all tiled, clean it all up, seal it, then grout it the next day

J

jonnyc

There is no need for confusion or problems brought about by misidentification of a surface type, yet it happens all too often. If you would like to see why this is the case and how to properly identify a surfacing material.Marble Polishing Process' reduces disintegration and crumbling of the surface under hard mechanical wear and weathering. The surface becomes approximately 10 times harder than an untreated marble surface.Surface is very smooth and not very porous
Polished crystals bring out brilliant colors and grains (400 to 3500 grit to polish stone)
Shine comes from the natural reflection of the stone’s crystals
Polish can wear away due to heavy foot traffic and improper maintenance
Sounds interesting . Can you explain in layman terms . Misidentification is a wire I would love to use

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Although the surface is polished, there is still generally always porosity, by saturating the impregnator for a period of time depending on each porosity of different stones , this will give the product an opportunity to go in to the polished finish and give the water and oil protection.

Ie, I soak each section I impregnate, for different times , very hard dense polished granites up to 20-25 mins /polished marbles - 10-12 min .

I will always test a spare stone, or in a discreet area for this timing, see how your stone reacts, does it go straight in or does it just sit up on top. This test then determines my saturation times for each section or stone type.

The most important part of impregnation is then to remove the excess, any product not taken in to the cappillaries must then be removed, I use old white towels to then buff the surface fully dry , before then moving on to the next section. Don't leave polished stones with a wet look finish, this can then cause you problems, smearing, dullness.

So, where does the sealer go? You remove it

Reply to Polished marble sealing in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks