Discuss Old primers in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

Anyone remember using Ardex Neoprene primer or Bal Acetone primer!
Both highly inflammable and both did the job right.
Neoprene for wood surfaces and the Acetone for plaster.
Never had any fixing problems with either but know of a tiler who set himself alight with one and I had a fume flash with the other!
Does make you wonder if the acrylic of today is the best available.

B

Bill

Was working with my dad on a job when we had to use Arrdex neoprene... I started brushing it on the wall....had 50m to coat and only had one brush as it was a Sunday and all the shops were shut. Well I did about 20m and my pop said, let's have a brew, like he always did (tea belly my dad) so I put said brush in the water bucket to leave to soak.... when we came back from brew, my dad went the ape on me.

Another lesson learned.

bansko

TF
Reaction score
Anyone remember using Ardex Neoprene primer or Bal Acetone primer!
Both highly inflammable and both did the job right.
Neoprene for wood surfaces and the Acetone for plaster.
Never had any fixing problems with either but know of a tiler who set himself alight with one and I had a fume flash with the other!
Does make you wonder if the acrylic of today is the best available.
The fumes off the neoprene were awful John, the tiler who set himself alight wasn't TM by any chance was it.?

B

Bill

Not quite a primer but do any of you remember the first Bal Flex (2 part) that had a liquid that smelled like cat ****? It was a great adhesive and would stick to anything including you. Spent hours in the bath scrubbing my fingers and hands cause of that stuff.

Do Bal still do something similar?

F

Flintstone

That stuff was horrific. They then made a fastflex that just required water. I've taken up quite a few tiles that appear to have been stuck with fast flex and it's all been crumbly powdery and not great, wonder if that's common

D

Dumbo

That stuff was horrific. They then made a fastflex that just required water. I've taken up quite a few tiles that appear to have been stuck with fast flex and it's all been crumbly powdery and not great, wonder if that's common
Did a floor years ago with 2 part fast flex . Refitted bathroom last year . Plumber who stripped out said tiles came away easily and floor cleaned up easily as well

T

Time's Ran Out

The original rubber crumb grey turned black fast flex went off so flexible and hard it wouldn't come off anything easy.
@bansko yes! Made the local news.

Reply to Old primers in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks