Discuss Non slip solution. When in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

average

TF
Reaction score
I tiled my wet floor in glazed tiles a few weeks ago and will be covering it with non slip solution once i get the chance however ive never used this stuff before. Anyone whos used it,can you tell me the pros and cons of it and steps of using it.

Another thing, seeing as im really busy with work, i also need to lift 2 tiles my wife cracked when dropped my lump hammer on them and want to know, if i lay the tiles really early in the morning with rapid set addy and grout when rapid set is near set, will i be able to use the solution on same day as grouting or is this asking abit to much.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
My only experience of non slip solutions is that they somehow chemically react with the glaze, physically causing quite smooth tiles to feel rough. Really struggling to remember the name of the one we used but I remember it being far more effective than I expected. However in order to prolong the effectiveness you'll need to maintain the tiles perfectly, keep them spotless. On the second point I wouldn't fix, grout and be applying a solution same day. You really want the addy and grout to be fully cured before putting anything on them.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above , oxalic acid based products burn small micro pores in to the surface of the tile, each tile type needs to be tested for ;
Application time for the amount of slip req
Best to test an unlaid tile first
With each of these timings , I test at 2-5-8-10-15 minutes on one tile
Remove / rinse off after time is up
You will then gauge amout of slip , but also damage to the tile
Ie, 10 mins is great anti slip but has destroyed the tile finish
6 mins is reasonable slip and has not changed the tile appearance
After this you can work in small controllable sections, timing each section perfectly.
As rich midge, Most important thing then is to maintain the surface or the cappillaries will fill and your back to square one,

R

Rookery

I did this once for an old lady who had slipped and fallen in her kitchen. The tiles were glossy ceramics. I cant remember what brand I used but I do remember following the instructions to the letter and I seem to remember a) it took ages to do and b) I could hardly tell any difference when I'd finished. If asked to do it again, it's a tenner a minute!

Reply to Non slip solution. When in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks