Discuss No more ply and joints in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SJPurdy

I just found a Kascade wet room shower base "instruction" sheet which shows no more ply fitted to walls dot and dabbed and again there is no scrim shown.
The only place that I have seen where they specify scrimming the joints is when it is used to overboard a cracked concrete floor.
That said, I think that when I used to use it I always scrimmed the joints just like I would with any other board; it didn't take that long or cost much for a bit of extra peace of mind!

Q

Qwerty

bathroom-installation-no-more-ply.jpg

D

Dougs Third Go

I use no more ply on floors and glue the joints as per instructions.
No more ply website has a pretty fool proof guide to wall installation with 12mm.
The glue is strong but if the joint between two boards falls in between two studs it could be a weak point I guess but to crack porcelain tiles, I'm not sure. My guess is there's something else at fault too. poor fixing methods or an unsuitable adhesive
why would you butt up joints in between studs?...end of one board should be halfway onto a stud, no guessing about it, if end of boards aren't fixed to a stud it most definitely is a weak point.

T

Time's Ran Out

Just to confirm in this issue - tiles are ceramic, NMP is fixed to studs on 3 walls, but outside wall where cracks on 3 tiles at 800mm high is a solid wall - so I assume dot and dab support.
My opinion is joins not supported fully and there must be movement/shrinkage in the boards. I suggested this product should have been taped but Tile Giant have said no and await inspection by 'others'.
The problem I see is this is an installation by a non tiler and although the tradesman has followed instruction there is a problem. But to charge to repair a tile that has been on for just over a month and blame the tile quality is wrong.
It's been good to read the replies from all who have used NMP - thanks!

D

Dougs Third Go

Just to confirm in this issue - tiles are ceramic, NMP is fixed to studs on 3 walls, but outside wall where cracks on 3 tiles at 800mm high is a solid wall - so I assume dot and dab support.
My opinion is joins not supported fully and there must be movement/shrinkage in the boards. I suggested this product should have been taped but Tile Giant have said no and await inspection by 'others'.
The problem I see is this is an installation by a non tiler and although the tradesman has followed instruction there is a problem. But to charge to repair a tile that has been on for just over a month and blame the tile quality is wrong.
It's been good to read the replies from all who have used NMP - thanks!
on the few occasions I have used NMP John, I've always taped the joints regardless, granted, I can't recall an instance that I've used a backer board on a solid masonry wall without using mechanical fixings alongside d&d,,,I'd still tape the joints though.

T

Time's Ran Out

I've never used it and never will...... not whilst the are superior products out there!

I've never used it and that's why I'am surprised as a board it's not taped!
Don't know of any tiling situation that wouldn't require it even with a good strong adhesive bond your still relying on the substrate to be secure.

I'am sure it's a case of now he's been advised by Tile Giant that these boards do not get taped and it's been done on the whole room, he's looking for confirmation that if it occurs elsewere he wants recompense from the installer or manufacturer for the excessive costs he's paid to have this room done 'correctly'.

My observation of this job is - why do people get joiners to tile their bathroom, how can a 10 day job expected to take 4 weeks and end up taking 12, and why do people get an estimate then pay almost twice as much as it's a quote!
And to top it all he paid to have a tile repaired only 2 months after it was done.
Still hopefully it will not end in tears!

T

Time's Ran Out

Been a bit busy to update this and indeed provide the householder with an estimate.
However he’s been asked to get prices for repairing the cracked tiles - now up to about 7 tiles on 3 different walls!
But he’s concerned that 10 months later it’s on more areas and where will it end.
I shall have to price for a complete strip out and redo - may seem excessive but it’s been badly set out, wet room floor looks like 10 years wear, and to repair all cracked tiles means taking down shower screens, damage to floor and ceiling.... it’s a nightmare.
Don’t know where Tile Giant/No more Ply will go as they are only looking to replace their tiles and boards. For me it’s fixer error along with poor installation guide.

Reply to No more ply and joints in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks