Discuss No more ply and joints in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

Went to look at a tiling issue yesterday on my day off!
Tiler (joiner/plumber/etc) did full refit - estimate was a guide final price almost double!!
Estimate of contract was 4weeks actual was 12!!
Anyway in February this tiling issue contacted me to look at a tile that was cracked/faulted and I advised he got the joiner etc back to look/repair as job only done at Xmas. Tradesperson returned and charged to repair tile!
Then yesterday on my day off as I said he contacted me again . Went to have a look and spent 1 hour discussing this job. Small cuts to corners and ceiling, darker coloured grout, poor cuts set up to wet area floor... not a tiler .
But it looks to me as though the no more ply which was fixed to all the walls has cracked on the join between 2 boards on a window wall.
The crack along 3 tiles of 600 mm each length is exactly 800mm up from the floor (the boards were long but 800 x 12mm )
Tiles are to come off and be repaired but now they will wait for Tile Giant to send someone out to look at it.
From the information I've read it seems as though No more ply do not recommend taping the joins but just using their adhesive to stick the boards together !!
My remark to issue householder is - every water resistant or cement board I have used you have to tape all joins.
Having never used NMP is this standard practice ?
I've advised issue householder to await reps call and get his tradesman back at no cost to repair said work.

S

SJPurdy

From the information I've read it seems as though No more ply do not recommend taping the joins but just using their adhesive to stick the boards together !!
My remark to issue householder is - every water resistant or cement board I have used you have to tape all joins.
Having never used NMP is this standard practice ?

Just checked my (now old) instructions sheet and the nomoreply.net web site and both no mention of scrim being required when fitting to stud walls. The net site does say that the joints are sealed using the mega strength adhesive but is also interesting that on the installation diagrams they show all the edges of the boards being supported by studs or noggins; and the edges of the boards are glued to the studs/noggins as well as being screwed. I am not very impressed by there unstable web site or the lack of clear fixing instuctions.
I think you may need to obtain a data sheet showing how they should be fixed from the manufacturer to advise the householder further.

T

Time's Ran Out

Thanks for your input chaps!
I've never used it and 1 wall in question is an outside wall where no framework was used just dot and dab to a solid wall.
It will be necessary to remove the tiles concerned (4 no. On 2 walls) to see what's failed but just now it seems as though there is a lack of background support.
Issue householder is thinking NMP will reimburse him as the Tiler/joiner fitted as per instructions ( and no tape) so it will be interesting.
And he gave me a cheque for £30 for my hour! Straight into pension fund.

G

GoneGuy

I only use no more ply for floors, just fitted it to a ensuite and bathroom floor yesterday over floorboards. I use the mega strength glue on back of boards and screw them down then I put a bead of mega strength along the edge for the next board to butt up to it.

I don't think it's any good for walls

IMG_1166.JPG

B

Blunt Tool

Never used the no more ply, but use Hardie backer boards on walls and floors all the time and their own website instruction video tells you to web tape joints.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When I used NMP I followed instructions by putting a bead of their tubed adhesive in every 2mm joint between boards. Once it had set I then ran a stanley blade across to remove any excess. The adhesive is like an expanding foam, although not on that scale and is actually very strong.

F

Flintstone

I use no more ply on floors and glue the joints as per instructions.
No more ply website has a pretty fool proof guide to wall installation with 12mm.
The glue is strong but if the joint between two boards falls in between two studs it could be a weak point I guess but to crack porcelain tiles, I'm not sure. My guess is there's something else at fault too. poor fixing methods or an unsuitable adhesive

D

Dumbo

When I used NMP I followed instructions by putting a bead of their tubed adhesive in every 2mm joint between boards. Once it had set I then ran a stanley blade across to remove any excess. The adhesive is like an expanding foam, although not on that scale and is actually very strong.
Sounds like pu glue

H

hmtiling

i've always glued and butted them together. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a joint between them.

Reply to No more ply and joints in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks