Discuss Newbie. Tiling shower floor in mosaics. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

carlito

Hi guys,

As a newbie One of my mates has asked me to lay some mosaic strips on his shower floor and create a little slope with the adhesive so that the water can run down into the drain which is situated in the middle of the floor. It has already been waterproofed but he thinks it is only a couple of hour job. How do i do this?

A) What adhesive should i use? (He has some mapei powder i think it's rapid set that was left over from when his shower was tiled and he would also like me to raise one edge a little next to his bath but i dont think there is enough adhesive for that.

B) Can i get some more of this mapei adhesive ready mixed in a small quantity?

C) What grout should i use? He really doesnt want to spend anything if he can help it but i am thinking he will have to? I think he will be happy for topps tiles stuff if it will work.

D) Will i be able to complete in a day and if not what would i need to do and use?

It is just a little job i am doing to get some experience whilst i am training.

Cheers.

M

Mike

i can't work out how you mean laying the mosaics to create a slope? is the shower floor already tiled or is it a 'fitted' shower base?

Reaction score
Oh dear. This could get messy.

What sort of mosaics? If natural stone, then use pourable thick bed adhesive. If not I would probable set some adhesive in a slope first, then when thats dry, tile on a small bed of (e.g.) white flexible adhesive. Try to keep the wet adhesive bed you set the mosaic into as thin as poss or it will turn out a mess.

Dont recommend readymix adhesive on floors. Use Keraquick or similar.

Keeping with Mapei theme, their grout for floors is excellent, and with 26 colours to choose from too!

Complete in a day? Depends on how you approach this and how much you have to tile.

No problem doing this as a training job - your trainers can also give you advice - free! Good luck.

Q

Qwerty

I dont quite understand what you are trying to describe with "a little slope". Falls in wetroom floors should be in a pre made forma, or a accurate fall across the floor to the drain. Why would he want the edge raised near the bath?, was it not fully tanked?

But to answer your questions-
A) Flexible cement based adhesive ...... such as Mapei Keraflex Maxi (slow set) or Keraquick (rapid set)
B) No. Only dispersion adhesive is ready mixed in a tub and you cant use this in your scenario
C) Flexible grout.....Mapei Ultracolour Plus, but I think you have already decided!
D) Really depends on how fast you work etc etc!

C

carlito

Cheers Andy you have got me bang on mate. Apologies all for not explaining a bit better just trying to get the hang of the posting thing. The mosaics are some iridiscent glassy type strips. He has already waterproofed the shower floor and everything but didnt leave a good enough slope for the water to run into the drain which is situated in the centre if the shower floor. It is not a large shower just a standard size one around 100cmx100cm and will the keraquick not need a day to set not? He wasnt interested in a top job so i thought i'd do it for a bit of practice.

Cheers again.

W

White Room

If he wants more of a slope for the mosaic then the floor area would have to be built up, no way are you going to build up the mosaic on thick wet adhesive.

C

carlito

Cheers Whitebeam, I am just starting my nvq but i am a quick learner. Didnt want to pass up the opportunity to get some experience and we all have to start somewhere right? The advice about the mosaics not wanting to be in thick adhesive are spot on. You have relieved some of my anxiety.

Q

Qwerty

If you are set on doing this, the Keraflex Maxi can go up to 35mm if I recall correctly..... one of the deepest bed adhesives there is (slow set though)

Q

Qwerty

It's mosaics blocko.

Didnt read that bit! ......... been flitting all over the forum tonight!

In that case........ as you said Whitebeam.....cant be done on thick bed of addy (unless he wants a bumpy submerged mosaic look)

L

Lincoln-tiler

mix up some adhesive really thick and make your falls using the adhesive with a plastering trowel. Make sure your falls you put in are smooth and flat. let this go off so its solid. leave for 24 hours so its gone off properly. Once this has gone off lay your mosaics on a fresh thin bed of adhesive and you should find it easier than trying to use a thick bed and build them up. You will get into all sorts of problems trying it that way. Not the most professional way of doing something but for a first timer who is doing a mate a favour, its probably the easiest way for you to do it unless anyone else has better advice. Good luck anyways mate

Reply to Newbie. Tiling shower floor in mosaics. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks