Discuss Newbie first job in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

joka

Hi.
Just set up for the first time on my own in a new town. A customer wants his shower enclosure re grouting (100mmx100mm tiles) about 4.5 Sq metres in total, grout width about 6mm. Having never re-grouted before I was just wondering what the best tools would be for the task or even whether it's a worthwhile job ( agreed hourly rate)?

T

Tile Shop

Got to be Multitool, like the Fein Multimaster or similar with the grout removal attachment is good fun (and very theraputic and satisfying........... just me?)

Hand held grout rake will work but its a total pain even on large tiles, more-so on 100x100.

As for whether its worthwhile, if you have no other jobs lined up, what else are you gonna do? might as well get paid for doing something while you wait to reel in the bigger fish :)

Get the practise in and when you get asked to do it again further down the line, it'll be easier/quicker, even with your eyes closed.

And welcome to the forum by the way.

F

Flintstone

It's bloody tedious! But yes I would use a multi tool, the hand tools just don't do the job on most grouts, my opinion, have a go and see for your self, it's the first string on your bow

T

Time's Ran Out

Only regrouted 1 job in 44 years ( poor quality grout supplied) and used dremmel with lots of end bits.
Not interested personally in this aspect of our trade but it's money!
Mind you if you chip/scratch/damage any of the tiles in the process you can kiss goodbye to any money you were to make as the customer will charge you!!

J

joka

Thanks. I've got an Erbauer multi tool but what attachments would you recommend? I've tried their own grout removal tool ( 71mm grout and mortar removal ) on my own grout and it barely scratched it. Would I be better off with a diamond segmented blade?

L

LM

Welcome to the forum Joka.
Could you try cleaning the grout up with grout cleaners/restorers etc rather than raking it out, I'd rather grate my shins :(

J

joka

Only regrouted 1 job in 44 years ( poor quality grout supplied) and used dremmel with lots of end bits.
Not interested personally in this aspect of our trade but it's money!
Mind you if you chip/scratch/damage any of the tiles in the process you can kiss goodbye to any money you were to make as the customer will charge you!!
Yeah that's what bothers me most especially given the number of tiles

J

joka

Welcome to the forum Joka.
Could you try cleaning the grout up with grout cleaners/restorers etc rather than raking it out, I'd rather grate my shins :(
I've never used any before. Are they any good as I've heard mixed reports?

L

LM

They can be surprisingly effective if used correctly, but it does depend on just how ingrained the staining is

W

White Room

You could google Saxton blades, they are good prices and cover many varied blades for rerouting.

Reply to Newbie first job in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks