Discuss New member looking for wet room installation advice. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Plumbone

Hi Guys, I'm an old boy, new to this forum & still learning on the job after 17 yrs! Good or bad time will tell,looks like I have just bought the same wet tray former kit as the man in the 'tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray' thread(see pic)
Gunned up the screed & oversight & plonked it in. My question is if I bitumen the oversight then screed with Ardex 35the areas outside the tray. What would be the best adhesive to set the tray in bearing in mind I was going to bitumen the oversight under there as well? The supplier suggest something like Weber spf, how's that gonna work with the bitumen coated concrete? Cheers in advance.
IMG_0184.JPG

F

Flintstone

There are a lot of good quality tanking kits out there, such as Ardex wpc to tank the walls and floor area prior to tiling.

O

One Day

Patch the walls and floor using something proper, i.e. containing sand and cement!
Then tank the wet area using Ardex WPC and tape all the joints / gaps around the tray using the same stuff.
That's a total mess as it is and I wouldn't waterproof it until it's straightened out.

BTW - What's oversight?! o_O

P

Plumbone

Thanks for the advice my Imperial friend, the whole room is being bonded & skimmed prior to tanking. Oversight I believe is the term for the rough concrete found under the screed . As I had broken into it I thought the dpc might be compromised, hence the suggestion for coating it in waterproofing before re- screeding. Is my thinking correct that as the tray itself is waterproof & all of it will be taped & tanked, one doesn't need to be concerned about underneath the tray?

Ps. Yorky, my tiler was glad to know this bloody plumber when he dropped a porcelain tile through the customers new bath!

F

Flintstone

Yes the tray is water proof, tanking the walls and using the tape to seal any joints and gaps is correct. I would advise against skimming the walls unless your using ceramic tiles as that will reduce the weight limit to 20kg per m, including your adhesive.

Reply to New member looking for wet room installation advice. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks