• Thread starter Switching
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3K

Discuss New guy, considering a change of career in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Switching

Hi guys.
I'm the new guy.

I'm on here to help me gain more insight into becoming a tiler. Bit of background, spent a fair bit of my life in the Forces. Now I'm out and doing a management position in a customer service role. And its a good job but it's sucking my soul from my body, slowly but surely.
Always been a hands on type of lad and I am seeking a trade. Unfortunately I am in my thirties now and nobody hires apprentices at this age. That and I have a mortgage to pay.

So, I am considering doing a basic tiling course, then becoming a tiler as a 'side hustle' til I establish myself. Is this a worthy endeavour? I am a hard worker (especially when it's paying for my dinner) but are these types of week long intensive courses worth it? Do they make you competent?

Also, can anyone recommend me a course, ideally in Scotland. Be it a weekend long or weekends, not too bothered.

Thanks for having me

L

LM

Hello and welcome to tilersforums :)
A few of the guys who know more about tiling courses will be along soon I'm sure to steer you in the right direction.

O

One Day

Hi. I started when i was 31. I was in a senior sales role and earned decent money with the usual mortgage and kids etc. It was a tough first few years, learning as i earned, but i love what i do now. Great satisfaction and i still can pay that same mortgage. Perhaps more important, i get to spend more time with my family now too.
I didn't go on any formal courses, other than BAL 1 and 2 day courses. They were brilliant. Don't overlook the training from the likes of BAL and Schluter, aswell as the paid-for courses!

S

Switching

Hi. I started when i was 31. I was in a senior sales role and earned decent money with the usual mortgage and kids etc. It was a tough first few years, learning as i earned, but i love what i do now. Great satisfaction and i still can pay that same mortgage. Perhaps more important, i get to spend more time with my family now too.
I didn't go on any formal courses, other than BAL 1 and 2 day courses. They were brilliant. Don't overlook the training from the likes of BAL and Schluter, aswell as the paid-for courses!

Thanks man. I am surprised that you for by with just a couple of days training!
What is BAL?

S

Switching

I

Italy

I at age 31 I was already in decline.
I am now in a phase scrapping. ahaah
I think it was wrong, the departure.

good luck and welcome

M

MTiler

Some training centres do the resettlement training for ex Forces.
Do at least a 4 week full time course to get the basics.

Reply to New guy, considering a change of career in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks