Discuss New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

John Wingfield

Im not using a tiler, Im doing it myself. Ive done a fair amount of tiling in previous projects over the last 3-4 years, but never on UFH screed, so I wanted to do my homework and hence seek advice from the forum.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Im not using stone, just porcelain tiles,

I will ensure the heating is properly commissioned before laying the floor and will be purchasing a matting, now that I have the facts.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Commisioning is very important , as on the first heat up of the ufh , you not only get lateral movement but also vertical - deflection .
1. The worst of the vertical happens on the intial heat up.
and
2. Ditra or any other decoupling mat for that matter don't really allow for vertical movement only lateral ( if memory serves me correctly). So if you just put down a mat without the commisioning you could still get probs later.

Diggy

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Honestly i wouldnt bother with matting , ive laid loads of porcalain on ufh with no matting with zero failures,stone, use matting , porcalain use matting waste £1300 :(
I will prob get some stick on here for this, but its not needed imo

F

Flintstone

Honestly i wouldnt bother with matting , ive laid loads of porcalain on ufh with no matting with zero failures,stone, use matting , porcalain use matting waste £1300 :(
I will prob get some stick on here for this, but its not needed imo

I am of the same opinion.

D

Dumbo

I wouldn't be so sure you can't claim back vat on labour provided any contractors u used are vat registered . I'm sure the ground workers would of been . Probably be wise to talk to some friends and have a meeting with a sharp accountant . Not just a friends mate who is an accountant but a good one . You could be looking at getting a lot of money back . Ditra will seem like a drop in the ocean

J

John Wingfield

Im now potentially thinking this job is now a little large for myself, in terms of the flooring etc. There is approx 180SQM to cover, in what region would I be expecting quotes considering all materials have been bought?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Reply to New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks