Discuss New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

200SQM of various porcelain tiles plus adhesive came in at £4.5k
and same again for fixing, so supply and lay an Ditra uncoupling is about 15% of that. A small price to pay I would say.
so your against the use of a uncoupling membrane on cost grounds only ?

J

John Wingfield

Not against it. I had heard from both sides re using it and not using. Obviously cost is a factor, so I wanted to ascertain whether or not it is truly required.
If I need approx 180SQM of Ditra I cant seem to find anywhere selling it less that £1300. That is quite a bit higher than 15%, plus I would also need to add some more thinset on to that cost, so Im looking at about 25%

J

John Wingfield

Didnt think I could, as we bulldozed the old place on the land and rebuilt? When I looked at the regs re VAT reclaim, that process didnt fit into any of there categories

J

J Sid

from what you say it sounds like you can.
I would double check if i was you.
did you use the same foundations?

J

J Sid

you can claim vat back on materials, not labour or plant hire.
why did you think not?
call them
Telephone: 03000 569 145
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm
only claim once and not longer then 3 months after completion.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
If I was spending £4.5k on tiles the modus operandi would have to be:

1. Commission UFH
2. Decoupling mat
3. Tile ( with some appropriate expansion joints - taking into account the ditra.)

Also £1300 over the cost of the whole build ( guessing between £300kkish 2 storey , £180kish single storey? - very ball park ) is about 0.5% ish of total build cost? So in the grand scheme of things you might have a cancel one family holiday :0)
You see where I'm coming from.

Diggy :0)

J

John Wingfield

LOL....I will ring an find out. Will have to dig out all the invoices for materials.

I will put the matting in - you have all convince me. I will also ask that the UFH is commissioned first. I have looked around online and there are so many choices:

Bal rapid mat £1393
Ditra £1328
Tilemaster anti-fracture £1260
Durabase £1068

Plus Ardex AF200 x3 15L tubs =£230

What peoples thoughts on Durabase C++

J

J Sid

all good, ask your tiler his thoughts. I hope you are using a tiler and not letting your builder do it

O

One Day

Positives: Ditra is the original, without doubt the best and has zero history of failure. There is NOBODY with poor confidence in Ditra, whereas many of us remember the Durabase problems some years ago.

Negatives: It will increase your adhesive use by around 30% and raise height 4mm.

If you're not using Stone (which really benefits from Ditra) then I'd go with Rapid Mat - it's the easiest to use.

Reply to New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks