Discuss New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

John Wingfield

Hi all

First post on here as need some advice. We are building a house and have got to the point where the floors need tiling.

The floor is a sand and cement screed that was NOT poured. It has been in the house since August.
The screed contains water based UFH which has not yet been turned on / commissioned.

I am going to be doing the tiling - done plenty before in previous houses, but never onto a screed with UFH. The chap in charge of the build has stated that we need to use a decoupling membrane on the screed to stop the tiles cracking.

I dont believe this is required, as the screed has had plenty of time to dry out (5 months) and I will have expansion joints between each room between the doorways.

Just after others experience / advice on this topic?

Thanks
John

J

J Sid

the floor needs turning on and commissioning.
some will say you can get away without an uncoupling membrane but I am in the camp which would advise some sort of uncoupling. There are many out there and not to expensive.

J

John Wingfield

I looked at Ditra which seems seriously expensive. I need to cover about 180SQM

Any other your would recommend?

O

One Day

Your risk lies in the fact that the floor hasn't been commissioned.
Once commissioned, and cooled - the cracks, if any should happen.
If you are fixing a porcelain, or strong stone then you'll likely be ok - especially if you have bays and expansion joints in the screed already.
If you're fixing a weak stone - marble / travertine etc then definitely uncouple.

Look at the cost of a membrane - even Mapeitex (probably the cheapest option at the moment) and you weigh up - how much do I value my stone/tiles?
- am I prepared to risk it?
- is the extra outlay worth the piece of mind?

Many of us have fixed long-lasting floors without Ditra, but never onto uncommissioned screeds without Ditra.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend using one but if the customer declined I'd still be happy to lay porcelain without it providing the UFH had been commissioned

J

J Sid

as harry said tilemaster is an option.

I wouldn't say it was seriously expensive, I don't know what you've paid for your tiles and there quoted fixing costs are, but would estimate to supply and fix Ditra would be about 10% to 15% of that. Well worth the peace of mind.

F

Flintstone

Strange how whitebeam and myself commented on here and they have vanished.
Some good advice here for you John. Large investment to risk

Reply to New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks