Discuss New Bathroom Project in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Paul Chattaway

Hi,
I am after some advice please. I'm intending to retile the whole bathroom, floor and walls, then place the bath, sink and boxed in floating toilet on top of the tiles, rather then affixing to the floor and walls directly and just tiling what is viewable. I will then tile over the toilet box. Is this way just a waste of tiles or is there some benefit to full tiling the walls and floor before installing the rest of the bathroom.

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Paul.

Unless you intend on moving the box at some stage, or perhaps completely tanking the floor maybe, I can see no mileage in tiling behind or underneath the boxing.

It's not something I've ever done, and even if you were moving it later, the remedial work would be quite involved, you'd be better off just keeping spare tiles.

P

Paul Chattaway

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have indeed tanked the floor, I've essentially treated it like a wetroom.

O

Old Mod

Have you wrapped it up the wall to form a skirting?

There would be no harm tiling the floor to protect the tanking then, but the walls would be a waste of materials, time & money.

T

Tilerdurden

Have you wrapped it up the wall to form a skirting?

There would be no harm tiling the floor to protect the tanking then, but the walls would be a waste of materials, time & money.

Although can simplify things if you ever decide to reconfigure your bathroom down the line.

D

Dkdc71

Hi paul welcome
I am only after finishing tiling my own bathroom with great advice from this site I am a plumber I tiled the walls then fit the bath and had to do cuts just around the bath just got floor finished earlier will fit the toilet and basin when set I always stick the toilet in to the tiles rather then drilling through a tanked floor seen guys drilling a tanked floor creating a weak point its a no,- brainer hope that helps you and best of luck with your bathroom

P

Paul Chattaway

thank for both the repolies and advice.

So yeah it wraps up a few inches at least, i've done all the walls and floor in thermopanel, taped the gaps, corners etc. then mapegum across all the floor and around the gaps and edges where I taped on the walls. Bath and sink etc won't be a problem on top of the tiles, but the toilet is a floating toilet on a frame, so the bolts on that frame, even on tile, will not doubt break the seal of my tanking, which will be difficult to repair the if the tile is already down. I'm leaning towards putting the toilet frame down through the tanking membrane, re-tanking around the bolts and the feet of the frame, tile around this on the floor, then box it in.

O

Old Mod

I'm leaning towards putting the toilet frame down through the tanking membrane, re-tanking around the bolts and the feet of the frame, tile around this on the floor, then box it in.

Just fill the bolt holes with silicone before fixing.
That'll re-seal your floor.

P

Paul Chattaway

Would that be best direct to the floor before tiling or can i do that through the tile and floor. I've got wedi610, i take it that would do the job fine.

Reply to New Bathroom Project in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks