Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss New bathroom - Acceptable tiling? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
I

Italy

I'm sorry,
But this work is very poor.
even the "tiler"
Tiler, is a great word in this context.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

No, we went with slightly above average from the 4 quotes we had (3/4)
Inform your tiler about your concerns, tell him that it is sub standard work and not acceptable given he is getting paid to do correctly. Give him a chance to rectify all the work you are not happy with at HIS expense i.e. Time and materials and see what he says, don't let him convince you everything will be ok once grouted and silicone done.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oh dear, saw one much worse than this earlier this week and unfortunately there is only one place for this type of work. It's 4 cubic metres and made of metal.

In all honesty you struggle to do remedial work on that standard and generally it's a case of ripping out and starting again to get the quality required.

OP
G

georgechi

Just to clarify, he's not a professional tiler, but a builder who took on the job to redo the whole bathroom. He brought in a plasterer (and a good one I might add) and a certified electrician (again, a very good one and I've saved his business card), but he did the tile himself.

I'll share with you the results this evening or tomorrow morning.

I'm also a bit confused about the grout. Do you still seal special grout for bathrooms? or do you expect it to hold well? On one of the walls, the tiles are attached to plasterboard because we needed insulation. There was a layer of pink/purple sealant applied to the plasterboard before the tiles were applied, but I'm also worried about the grout itself. The grout was applied yesterday and after 24 hours, when touching it with a wet finger it changes colour from silver to dark grey which makes me think it absorbs water. Is this normal?

Thanks,
George

OP
G

georgechi

Has he been paid?
Not yet, but I'm not looking for confrontation. I can live with a few odd tiles, but it's disappointing because you'd expect quality from someone doing this as their main job. I have a colleague at work who can tile better than him and we work in IT.

George

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Well there you go - a builder!
Bit of info in drips and drabs and it was Jack all along.
As for the grout, sometimes it can take 3-4 days for the grout to become impervious .
Happy days!

added after pdc agree!

P.s : not sure what's special about IT. If you wanted a decent job done you should have come here for a tiler in your area first.

OP
G

georgechi

Inform your tiler about your concerns, tell him that it is sub standard work and not acceptable given he is getting paid to do correctly. Give him a chance to rectify all the work you are not happy with at HIS expense i.e. Time and materials and see what he says, don't let him convince you everything will be ok once grouted and silicone done.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a measurable standard by which you can judge the quality of the work? Like lippage? Is there a tool that's used to measure this on walls for an objective judgement?

Thanks,
George

OP
G

georgechi

Not yet, but I'm not looking for confrontation. I can live with a few odd tiles, but it's disappointing because you'd expect quality from someone doing this as their main job. I have a colleague at work who can tile better than him and we work in IT.

George

Is this kind of problem common? How would one approach a bathroom remodel for a decent result? I'd imagine that getting a builder in to do the work is the standard approach and he'd delegate certain work to other people who are more qualified/experienced. Clearly, in my case he was confident with his skill, but is there a better way?

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Thanks for the advice. Is there a measurable standard by which you can judge the quality of the work? Like lippage? Is there a tool that's used to measure this on walls for an objective judgement?

Thanks,
George
If your not happy - it's not right!

Reply to New bathroom - Acceptable tiling? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock