Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Never used a grinder to cut tiles... in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Yes either flip the tile over and trim it from the back or as i often do just hold the tile stood up and take the last bit out, it's a bit easier to see what's happening that way. When I say wet sponge I don't mean damp I mean really quite wet

O

Old Mod

I cut those limestone tiles dry....dose this mean the blades knackered..?
No Andy, not at all mate.
You can dress the blade if it starts to dull.
You can buy proper dressing stones or use a piece of stone which is fairly hard but not dense.
The diamonds get clogged and buried under the metal of the blade, so you need to expose them again and it will rejuvenate your blade.
You're just trying to clear away the debris left behind.

This will tell you all about it if you're interested Andy

Dressing stone

I

Italy

No Andy, not at all mate.
You can dress the blade if it starts to dull.
You can buy proper dressing stones or use a piece of stone which is fairly hard but not dense.
The diamonds get clogged and buried under the metal of the blade, so you need to expose them again and it will rejuvenate your blade.
You're just trying to clear away the debris left behind.

This will tell you all about it if you're interested Andy

Dressing stone
the dressing,
Do NOT use on blades or drill bits, Brazed Diamond.
Example, like that posted by local.

F

Flintstone

Keeping a rounded corner is all good for a lot of floor applications but around windows when trimming etc it's not great

O

Old Mod

Keeping a rounded corner is all good for a lot of floor applications but around windows when trimming etc it's not great
No it's not I'll agree Andy, but if your straight cut meets the radius of the hole perfectly then it can give a perfectly good result.
Its far more important for floors than walls Andy, there are not the stresses place on walls that there are floors, although-that notwithstanding, if you're tile on to studded walls it can be just as important to reduce the risk of corner tiles breaking.
Especially if timber hasn't been dried or acclimatised properly, soon as it dries out it shrinks and can cause corners to go.
In fact I've seen it recently, a unit was tiled around in a stud wall of the bathroom and both corners went after just a few weeks.
It's just about minimising risk,you can do no more mate.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This whole wet sponge thing has me thinking about rigging up a garden spray bottle the kind u pump up for preasure and a length of silicone tide the kind u use in a fishtank air stone set up and drilling a hole in the guard of the grinder

O

Old Mod

This whole wet sponge thing has me thinking about rigging up a garden spray bottle the kind u pump up for preasure and a length of silicone tide the kind u use in a fishtank air stone set up and drilling a hole in the guard of the grinder

Kyle, that so last year! Haha
Yeah already tried that, needs tweaking tho, not as straight forward as it seems unfortunately. Problems arise with keeping the operator safe from electrocution :D
Montolit have it cracked for about £600 I think.

IMG_5186.PNG

Reply to Never used a grinder to cut tiles... in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock