Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Never used a grinder to cut tiles... in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I just find it easier on little wet saw, some times end up with small cuts under units etc to do

L

LM

I can it's just that over here sometimes you come across problems like where sparks can't keep sockets at the same hieght for some reason ;) awkward stuff like that where you may need a 5mm piece left on a check etc, horrible situations :confused:

M

MTiler

I've read with interest and i'm not convinced, I still dont understand why you'd want to do it, you've got a higher risk of injury with grinder kicking back, chips in your eyes, dust in lungs.

Don't get me wrong Ive got two grinders but unless with were huge format tiles i'd just use a wet cutter

Theres things called safety glasses/goggles and masks, plus I use a grout float to hold stuff down where possible.

We all have our own ways of doing things thats suits any given situation.

N

NZ_Tiler

I've read with interest and i'm not convinced, I still dont understand why you'd want to do it, you've got a higher risk of injury with grinder kicking back, chips in your eyes, dust in lungs.

Don't get me wrong Ive got two grinders but unless with were huge format tiles i'd just use a wet cutter

Half way through a 15month project and the main contractor tells us we all need kick back stop grinders. We had 20+ tilers on site so obviously a huge cost. We fought it and won because

1. Kick back when cutting 10mm thick tile rarely happens. You're doing something wrong if it does. Safe operating will prevent it.

2. Kick back grinders (at this time) only started at 125mm. So we'd have to go for larger more powerful grinders in order to get the needed safety feature.

We do wear dust masks when operating. Glasses should be worn with wet saw aswell.

A nice dewalt wet cutter would be a nice replacement for a grinder but come at a huge cost for larger companies.

T

Time's Ran Out

Half way through a 15month project and the main contractor tells us we all need kick back stop grinders. We had 20+ tilers on site so obviously a huge cost. We fought it and won because

1. Kick back when cutting 10mm thick tile rarely happens. You're doing something wrong if it does. Safe operating will prevent it.

2. Kick back grinders (at this time) only started at 125mm. So we'd have to go for larger more powerful grinders in order to get the needed safety feature.

We do wear dust masks when operating. Glasses should be worn with wet saw aswell.

A nice dewalt wet cutter would be a nice replacement for a grinder but come at a huge cost for larger companies.

You could get them a Dewalt but they wouldn't look after it!
Health and safety is a must. Insist on goggles and ear muffs or your insurance could be void.
20 + Tilers - what did you do in a previous life to deserve that.;)

Reaction score
Another plus one for the grinder. A grinder in the right hands will leave a great finish. I always wear Google and a dust mask. Always do my cuts outside. Grinder only kicks back if you are not cutting straight.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have a garage full of various wetsaws , i use a grinder probably 99% of the time couldnt be without it...

Reaction score
I've just bought a Bosch GWS 7-115e and it gets quite hot at slow speeds and doesn't sound the best anyone else have the same problem I don't know if that's what they are like or should I send it back I have the flex variable speed and it's a lot smoother

I

Italy

I've just bought a Bosch GWS 7-115e and it gets quite hot at slow speeds and doesn't sound the best anyone else have the same problem I don't know if that's what they are like or should I send it back I have the flex variable speed and it's a lot smoother
I confirm, at low speed, it becomes warm.
It happens to me, when I use it on screeds.

K

Kevbos

Grinders are great on right jobs .and used right way . For instance how much do some spend on hole cutters .when you can grind through back of a tile and use toffee hammer to knock perfect holes through .

N

NZ_Tiler

Grinders are great on right jobs .and used right way . For instance how much do some spend on hole cutters .when you can grind through back of a tile and use toffee hammer to knock perfect holes through .

When I workout how to compress my mp4 I'll upload it. A 40mm hole in under a minute with grinder and hole saw. That's through porcelain. Much faster than toffee hammer so worth it

Reply to Never used a grinder to cut tiles... in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock