Discuss My wetroom journey in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

V

vala

Thought I'd put up a thread with regards to a wetroom I'm fitting in my house. Had some great advice so far whilst in the build up to it which I appreciate.

So first day was Saturday just gone and the plan was to strip out as much as possible. I'm also refurbishing the 2 rooms and landing on the first floor but will concentrate on just the wetroom in this thread.
I still need to remove the existing ceiling, floor and the tiled shower cubicle but this will have to wait till either this Sunday or the following weekend.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Once the shower cubicle is out I'll be having a good look at that wall as a few of the bricks look in bad shape so would like that sorted before affixing hardie boards. The partition wall with the pipes in currently is going to be replaced for a deeper variant which will house the concealed cistern.

Is there anything other then a wire brush I could use to clean up the exposed brickwork? And would it be wise to prime this with something prior to affixing hardie boards?

Q

Qwerty

Thanks for sharing this project with us!

Wire brush is fine. You need to be priming the wall with SBR or a specific tiling acrylic based primer. Any reason you are choosing Hardie in a wet room over a specific tanking board?

V

vala

Plan Tec - so SBR straight onto the exposed brick before applying the hardie board?
No specific reason really in choosing hardie board. I was searching for what is used and this product came up often.

Q

Qwerty

SBR watered down to act as a primer. I personally would use a waterproof tanking board in a wet room instead of Hardie

V

vala

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll go with the Marmox one as I'm looking at a Marmox shower tray. I've worked out what I need to keep the total height from joists to top of finished floor (tiles and wood) at 30mm plus adhesive and SLC.

Q

Qwerty

Do take a look at the orbry gear. I actually prefer the drain designs on their formers

Last edited by a moderator:
V

vala

I do prefer the orbry linear drain former however the only thing that is an issue is the former's are 30mm as opposed to the 20mm of the Marmox.
The existing floor should be up this weekend. If I could remove 10mm underneath where the former would sit I will definitely consider the Orbry equivalent.
I'd like to stick to the 30mm joist to finished floor height as this will then be the same across the whole first floor (whether it be tiles or wood flooring).

*Edit* looking at my specs for the flooring (over tiles and wood) I could get up to 40mm by increasing the thickness of the ply and insulation boards. I'll see what my existing top tread is of my staircase and take it from there.

V

vala

Orbry - can you tell me if your heating mats are ok to run off one thermostat even though some of it will be under tiles (in the wetroom) and the rest under wood flooring?
I'm pretty sure I've only got 9-10sqm of underfloor heating on my first floor (can confirm over the weekend). I was planning on having the sensor under the wood flooring in the landing.
I understand that tiles may be harder to warm up but surely if the sensor is under the wood flooring once it hits it temp it the tiled area will be slightly cooler.

O

Orbry

We wouldn't recommend it as the sensor should be under the flooring it will be heating. It shouldn't cause any problems apart from the low heat under the tiles, but the efficiency and performance would be better if an additional separate one was used for the tiles.

V

vala

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Well this weekend has passed and I managed to get some work down on my wetroom on the Sunday (unfortunately had to work the Saturday).
So by end of play Sunday I got the tiles and shower tray out and also pulled down the ceiling. I'm also ripping out the 2 other rooms and the landing but will concentrate on just the wetroom in this thread.
This weekend (and all now till end of Sept) I'll be working on the wetroom and other areas so am hoping to get more done per day.
Plan for this weekend in the wetroom is to rip up the floor, remove the loft insulation and remove the partition walls. I need to drain my immersion tank ready for removal as I decided this weekend to accelerate the purchase of a zip tap for my kitchen. The basin will now have hot water fed via a Zip ES3 water heater so by getting the Zip tap for the kitchen means I can get rid of the tank in the loft and some of the plumbing.
Fingers crossed the whole floor is ready for the week after when I can get on with installing stuff rather then removing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to My wetroom journey in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks