Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss My Grout Has Washed Out :-( in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

Peter Jordan

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Omg, I thought my tiles in the shower would create a waterproof sheild. BUT the grout between the tiles keeps washing out. I use good brand (UNIBOND) I dried the erea with dehumidifier, applied the tiles and dehumidifies again to suck any moisture before grouting. I then dehumidifies again for 2 days. I felt sure I done everything right YET, couple months later grout between tiles started going missing, eventually letting water get behind them.
NOW I'm back to square one. Removed all loose tiles scraped off all wet grout and dehumidifying all day (and overnight) so the the wall is dry-as-a-bone before grouting tiles back on tomorrow. Problem is in the six years we have lived here, I grouted those tiles 5 times, taking them completely off 4 times.
AND I am so scratching my head over this that I joined this forum to seek help: WHERE AN I HOING WRONG?
I have been putting my never ending tile down to my oldest (16) son who goes to sleep in the shower every morning for thirty minutes. I tell him to only shower for 5 minutes and I show him the grouting problems I'm having but unfortunately the part of him that I talk to is cut off from the part of his brain that puts him to sleep in the shower every morning.
BUT HEY, other people have long showers every morning and their grout doesn't dissapear.
BOTTOM LINE, I just don't know what to think, GROUTING CONSPIRICY? Surely grout IS supposed to withstand water, NO?
I was even thinking of trying to seal the times with silicone solution (OR SOMETHING) to sto the water stealing my grout.
The shower isn't fancy power dooby, just a mixer tap with shower attachment. The cubicle itself isn't tiny it's 66cm (26inc) from the tiled wall to the glass door. It has an open side so that there is plenty ventilation and an extra tee fan to get rid of steam.
I know you can buy apoxy grout, but I really thought regular bathroom grout was a material designed for showers. Apoxy grout is expensive, not as easy to apply and more time consuming.
I got to put the tiles back on tomorrow, any tips or steps I am missing would mean that FINALLY I can put this pain-in-the-*** job to rest. THANK YOU! Oh, I tried to correct the title of this post, I pressed edit, but it does not allow me to edit the title?

OP
Q

Qwerty

Wow. That is quite a lengthy post! :D

It sounds like a ready mixed all in one type of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ & grout you are using which would explain why it keeps falling out. Do you have a photo of the Unibond stuff that you used?

I corrected the title by the way

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As much as I admire anyone having a go at there own diy tile project ......now maybe the time to give a tiler a call.
Imo unibond don't make great tile products and if it is there fix and grout then it's a recipe for disaster. .

OP
P

Peter Jordan

Hi Plan Tec & Andy Allen, LOOKS like the product is in question by both the replies. Plan Tec, you are right is is an all-in-one https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout se pic. Also I was advised to buy this from a customer service 'tiler' in (don't laugh) B&Q (******** and Queef). OK, so if it's the product I'll get myself dedicated https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and a dedicated grout.

Hey, thanks you guys for posting, I'm tired of this tile over and over.

IMG_0446.JPG

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That's better.....prefer powdered https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ myself. ....but just make sure you let the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ dry for a couple of days before grouting.
Btw What size are your tiles.

OP
P

Peter Jordan

Thanks Andy.
The tiles are just regular white 6inc X 6inch glazed. I got them all on now. I will make sure to leave them 2 days before grouting. Incidentally, I asked merchant for powdered, didn't have any (or he was trying to push 15kg on me, I told him I only had 16 tiles)
STILL live and learn eh?
Thanks again for advise.
Happy tile peops

OP
I

Ian

Thanks Andy.
The tiles are just regular white 6inc X 6inch glazed. I got them all on now. I will make sure to leave them 2 days before grouting. Incidentally, I asked merchant for powdered, didn't have any (or he was trying to push 15kg on me, I told him I only had 16 tiles)
STILL live and learn eh?
Thanks again for advise.
Happy tile peops
Hang on, you've only got 16 no. 6x6" tiles in your shower? It must be a tight squeeze in there :rolleyes:

Reply to My Grout Has Washed Out :-( in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock