Discuss My first wetroom! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

richbraithwaite

Afternoon all,

I’m a fairly experienced DIYer just about to embark on a wet room for the first time and am a little bewildered by the array of products for creating a waterproof room.

My plan so far is to fit a Wedi floor-level shower element (Fundo Ligno BuyWedi - http://tinyurl.com/jnfs3d2) and board all walls and ceiling with Knauf Aquapanel.

However, confusion sets in when deciding how to seal joints. Looks like I need rolls of tape that are stuck down and subsequenbtly coated with a tanking liquid.

So far does this sound good?

If so, can you suggest a tape and tanking liquid that are compatible with each other, as well as with the aquapanel and wedi element? Is Knauf aquapanel jointing tape any good (TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL - http://tinyurl.com/gv6slmb) - does look like it'd be a sealing tape but then what's it for?

Finally what about the remainder of the timber floor – how is this waterproofed?

All constructive advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Richard

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
If you get an ardex wp tanking kit. It comes with the tape and enough tanking for most showers. It will stick to just about anything!
You will need yo the walls and any joints to the tray.
Personally, I would install the tray former so it is 10mm above the ply. Then fit 10mm insulation boards to the rest of the room. These are made of a similar product to wedi. Tape and tank all joints.

R

richbraithwaite

Cheers for quick response. Regarding aquapanel walls can I get away with just taping and sealing the joints and over screw heads, or do I need to tank entire wall?

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't recommend using aquapanel at all as they aren't water proof. They won't break down like a plasterboard would but they will soak up water
Use wedi board, jackboard, marmox board, there all very similar, and water proof, use them on Walls and floor, seal all joints and fixings with there recommended sealent and you will have a waterproof room.

If your fitting a wedi try, why not carry on with the full wedi system

R

richbraithwaite

I wouldn't recommend using aquapanel at all as they aren't water proof. They won't break down like a plasterboard would but they will soak up water
Use wedi board, jackboard, marmox board, there all very similar, and water proof, use them on Walls and floor, seal all joints and fixings with there recommended sealent and you will have a waterproof room.

If your fitting a wedi try, why not carry on with the full wedi system
Cheers 'localtiler'.

Thought about using Wedi throughout but as so expensive was looking for cheaper alternative. Also, on timber stud wall wedi recommends minimum 20mm thick board (=more expense).

What about roof - standard moisture resistant green plasterboard?

F

Flintstone

You get what you pay for. Some of the other brands are cheaper. You could use the wedi boards in the wet area and the floor and use some your aqua panels for the rest of the walls. Most rooms have a skimmed ceiling.

T

Tile Shop

Cheers 'localtiler'.

Thought about using Wedi throughout but as so expensive was looking for cheaper alternative. Also, on timber stud wall wedi recommends minimum 20mm thick board (=more expense).

What about roof - standard moisture resistant green plasterboard?

How far apart are the studs?

T

Tile Shop

Ok. Using marmox as an example....:
Stud width : Minimum board thickness
300mm: 10mm
400mm: 12.5mm
600mm: 20mm

Providing you can make the studs close as per the above, you may spend more on the timber frame, but less on the boards. But do some research. Whichever board you go for, Wedi, Marmox, Deltaboard, etc.... stick with their guidelines for board thickness and stud width. They may be strong but can still wobble without the correct support.

J

JTSpas

Agree with Localtiler, actually wedi board, jackboard, marmox board are waterproof but plasterboard and aquapanel are classed as water resistents. You can also look for medium rangers like NMP or hardibacker boards. With Hardibacker you can also make holes for soap dishes or hooks, as it is easy to cut.

W

White Room

Agree with Localtiler, actually wedi board, jackboard, marmox board are waterproof but plasterboard and aquapanel are classed as water resistents. You can also look for medium rangers like NMP or hardibacker boards. With Hardibacker you can also make holes for soap dishes or hooks, as it is easy to cut.

I wouldn't class it as water resistant, it will suck up moisture like a sponge.

Reply to My first wetroom! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks