Discuss Modular Floor Tiles problem in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Fireburst

Hi,

I am currently putting a new tile floor down in the kitchen of a house I recently purchased. I purchased the tiles from Topps Tiles and was originally going to lay the tiles with a 5mm grout line.

The instructions that came with the tiles said a 2-3mm grout line must be used for the best ascetic effect. I laid the pattern out (3mm) dry and although there seemed to be a small deviation in gap size on the single repeat it did state that there can be small deviations in the tiles. Roll forward 4 hours and I have laid 1/3 of the kitchen floor and its all going very wrong. The tile set comprises of 4 different sizes and its the smallest tile that is giving issues. Even touching the surrounding tiles, it still needs more space which pushes the grout line wider.

I stopped at this point as it was getting late and I thought things would look better after some sleep and a reevaluation of the situation.

In the morning when going over my work it struck me they would have to be lifted and I would need to start again.

I have looked at the small tile and notice that if I put 3 together touching they are a few mm wider than the large tile. Surely this isn't correct? I understand that by the very nature of pre packed modular tiles that have to suit a number of patterns you are going to get some small differences in the gap but logic would dictate that the smaller tiles should be ... well a little smaller to allow for grouting?

I have made a complaint to Topps Tiles and they think they are fit for purpose but I though I would like the views of some professional tilers if possible?

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
These 4 tile patterns always end up with a mishmash of grout joints I did a tumbled limestone 4 tile floor last year opus pattern if I remember correctly and they was the same u had 1mm joints up to maybe 5mm joints in some places

T

Tile Shop

Its rare that tiles are made purely for a modular design (with the exception of some natural stones).

Normal ceramic and porcelain for example (not rectified).... In one range, you have the 450x450, 450x300, 300x300 and 150x150 "nominal sizes". Each of these can be bought individually, so if you wanted just the 300x300 only, you can. The modular layout is normally only an optional "serving suggestion".

Over their manufacturing lifetime, each size of these tiles will be made to around 5 different calibres, meaning one batch will be 300, the next 298, the next 301.5 and so on. All sizes will be affected in the same way and thus because of stock turnaround, there will be no way of getting a 100% uniform grout joint.

Topps, like 'em or not, are also right in that they are fit for purpose. The tiles will confirm to BSEN14411 which states:
upload_2017-6-6_12-44-23.png

which with the correct setting out before fixing (not just one repetition) can be foreseen and adjusted accordingly. Extruded tiles can go anywhere between 3 and 11mm so count yourself fortunate.

If you are that lucky enough to get a modular layout that offers completely uniform 3mm grout joint, fix 'em quick and go get yourself a lottery ticket before the next draw.

F

Fireburst

Thanks for all the replies. I have been creative with my solution using the two larger tiles in the pack on the floor and utilising the two smaller tiles for the walls. Lost a few tiles lifting them and wasted a couple of bags of adhesive plus a weekend but at least it moves me forwards. Wife absolutely did not want variances in the grout lines so this was the best solution.

Reply to Modular Floor Tiles problem in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks