• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Mitre cut metro tiles in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

JD85

Hi

I am having the kitchen splashback re-tiled and there are a couple of corners. I really don't like tile trim and so we want the tiles mitred.

We plan to use metro tiles (flat rather than bevelled) but wanted to check these can be mitred. Our tiler said the tiles should be at least 8mm thick for mitring but the ones we found are only 6mm. Is 6mm going to be a problem? He also warned about chipping the glaze but I understand this is avoidable with the right tools and method.

What are your views?

One further question - they are white tiles and my preference is for grey grout. Should the mitre edge corner be finished with grey grout too, as opposed to white? Grey would seem the natural choice to match the rest of the grout, but you wouldn't get the look of the white continuing round the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

Old Mod

This is my current project and
these tiles are 1200 x 600 x 4.8mm
And are thinner than yours.
They're un grouted presently.
Quite often in higher risk areas the corners will be filled with coloured Akemi resin to add strength.
And they are highly polished porcelain.
That said, ceramic is much softer, and a test first would be prudent.
But it does really take someone with experience to get it right.
And yes grey would be my choice too.

IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I don't see any reason why your tiler doesn't mitre your tiles and if he can get them as good as @3_fall then I'd suggest white to disguise the corner 'brick' and grey through the joint.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Mitred with porc is easier in my opinion, but it is doable with the ceramics but not easy and will take a very steady hand at 6mm thick, but I would say it will probably just have to be kept a little bit further away from the glaze to prevent chipping, and expect to pay for this service.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Didn't even think of doing it like That, if it's only 6mm thick, prob quickest way too

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
That's cos I was doing it that way before you were born Tom! :D

This is probably very true :p:D, don't get asked to do mitres on ceramic very often so in fact very rarely so had always used a grinder, I shall remember this now tho, as per usual Marc, I bow my head to your knowledge sir

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

The small bench wet cutters have a drop down side for mitres. Easier again and of course for the bigger tiles you can get the Dewalt out.

Reply to Mitre cut metro tiles in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer