Discuss Mesh And Resin/glue Backed Stone. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I take a picture. Upload it to the forum. Then ask if I need to leave it on or what.

;)

I

Ian

I have in the past used SPF and it stuck perfectly well to the tile despite my concerns, if I was to do it again I'd probably err on the side of caution and use a 2 part.

S

Spud

I remove it with a sharp scraper most of the time it peels off fairly easily on most stone ,hardest I had to remove was off off Marron imperial so I used 2 part

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
What if I said that both Weber and Bal say NO ! .. To tiling to mesh/resin backed tiles with any of their adhesives ?

It is also highly recommended that if a stone tile/slab has more than 25% of the back covered in mesh/resin then it isn't suitable for tiling in areas of wetting or thermal expansion or external use.

So you need to be aware that you could be up for a fall if you have used said tiles and the backs have more than 25% of this backing on them.

We all know a S2 or even an elastomeric adhesive sticks poo to a blanket ... But it's only as strong as this mesh/resin is too the tile backs and are you really going to rely on that to hold your tiles in situ.?

I've just had to refuse to tile a floor with mesh/resin backed marble and after getting proof from Bal , weber and then printed proof from the TTA , the customer was pleased I highlighted this issue that came to light early last year or the year before..

J

jonnyc

You are right to turn job down. It seems there is no regulation about what glue /resin used on back of stone.thrre have been some serious failures.apparently it is the duty of the stone supplier to spec an adhesive for any resin backed stone they sell

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You are right to turn job down. It seems there is no regulation about what glue /resin used on back of stone.thrre have been some serious failures.apparently it is the duty of the stone supplier to spec an adhesive for any resin backed stone they sell

There is at the moment No British standard for tiling with these tiles etc , hence no adhesive manufacturer will guarantee their adhesives if more than 25% of the back is covered,

J

jonnyc

This is a serious problem dave that is not being addressed by stone suppliers. Weber used to recommend one of their products till they had a problem they had to address

Reply to Mesh And Resin/glue Backed Stone. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks