Discuss Matching Mosaic To Travertine Floor On A Preformed Shower Base. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

Needing a little advice. I've been roped in to a part done bathroom. Floor is currently travertine and a section has been cut out for a preformed shower base. I need to remove a few tiles around the base now and am planning on installing mosaic on the tray and up to the existing floor tiles. Now when matching tiles in the past I've backed mosaic with mosaic mats which have worked fine. Has anyone used them on a tray before/can they be used? What are the other options?

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi . wouldn't recommend mosaic mats on a wet floor , I would screed to the required height with ptb , let dry , then tile

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the advice customer is getting the tiles tomorrow so will advise on the size in the morning. I'm not sure what make the tray is as it was in when I got there this morn. It's a black tray preformed with a centred round waste.

Reaction score
Hi again, rather than screeding has anyone used the ditra Matting straight onto the tray thinking this could solve the height problem ?

Reaction score
By pack up do you mean build it up the adhesive first or thicker adhesive?

Sorry just reread your post realised you said pack up the tray. The tray is fixed in but will take a look this morn. But there will be a 400mm or so where the old tile has been lifted, where the mosaic will start from. Need to build up to match the tiles and then keep the fall in the tray. Just thinking will it be easier to put matting up to the tile and on the tray or build up let dry and tile ?

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

By pack up do you mean build it up the adhesive first or thicker adhesive?

Sorry just reread your post realised you said pack up the tray. The tray is fixed in but will take a look this morn. But there will be a 400mm or so where the old tile has been lifted, where the mosaic will start from. Need to build up to match the tiles and then keep the fall in the tray. Just thinking will it be easier to put matting up to the tile and on the tray or build up let dry and tile ?
U have a 40mm defacit to make up?

Reaction score
Hi sorry poor explanation by me. The floor is a travertine floor on a solid floor. It is being converted into a shower area. Plumbers have literally cut a hole through the tile floor and dropped a tray in level with the floor. I need to chop out the row of tiles back to the next full tile, about 400mm then tile mosaic into the full area. The exsisting travertine is 12mm on a good bed of adhesive. Looking at getting the mosaic to match the tile height and fall with the tray former. Thinking of ditra or building the floor up

O

Old Mod

Ok so when you say solid floor do you mean a screeded floor or just a good timber floor?
When you say shower tray level with the floor do you mean the tile or the subfloor?
Sorry for all the questions but it's difficult to imagine without a picture, can you upload one?
Chalker above is exactly right, you're not supposed to use a mosaic tile less than 50 mm x 50 mm on most shower trays it will depend on its make up.
Ditra Matting also has the same limitations.
I've certainly never seen Ditra Matting on shower former and Schluter certainly don't teach that.
Perhaps the best person to ask is Carl from @Schlüter-Systems Ltd
An image may well help.

Reply to Matching Mosaic To Travertine Floor On A Preformed Shower Base. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks