Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. laugh TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Job Of The Month Competition! laugh

Vote on July competition by clicking HERE (click the thumbs up on the job you want to win!

Enter in August competition by clicking HERE (click 'add your JOTM entry' and then 'add media')

2. ismoat Building Products

Discuss Mapei tile adhesive won't set .... in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Matchless Plumb

Matchless Plumb Active Member

hi guys,

I hope someone could give me an answer regarding the issue I am facing.
    I am doing a bathroom refurbishment.

I initially got there to fix a leak, however the walls were soaking wet. I have stripped all out and let it dry via a strong fan and a dehumidifier.
    Now, I have plumbed all in and the tiler have put the liquid rubber - tanking / ardex onto the wall. However, he started tiling yesterday and used the mapei flexible adhesive and when we came this morning, it was still not fully dried out. The problem is the bathroom is like a box room and has only a window which has a fan installed the window screen. You cannot open the window to get a draft.

The adhesive just doesn't see to set and dry out. What can we do to make that happening ? What did we do wrong or better the tiler?

Is there anything we could have done better? The problem is there is no draft and it's always very humid and moist.

Kind regrads

Ron

2. hmtiling

hmtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Which adhesive was it Ron?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Ready mixed ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matchless Plumb

Mapei adesilex P9

5. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

Heat to evaporate moisture,dehumidifier to remove it. Even though it is a very damp environment, the adhesive should have set. Others more knowledgeable in such things will no doubt be along to offer ,advise. You say your tiler used Mapei adhesive, was it standard set. What type of tiles did you instal. Presumably you haven't grouted yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

is it still soft or just moist ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matchless Plumb

The tile adhesive is not soft but moist and we used the mapei adesilex p9

He hasn't grouted yet. He puts 300 x 600 tiles in brickwork style. The spacers are 3mm

8. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Put the dehum back in . It will set .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matchless Plumb

That's what we do tomorrow morning. It's a little pain as it is a council flat and I really don't like doing bathroom refurbishments in flats. It is always a pain either tilting or plumbing - never easy

10. Matchless Plumb

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated

Thumbs up to this forum!!!

11. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If they are porcelain tiles there is no where for the moisture to go, it will take longer to dry.

12. Matchless Plumb

Hi ,

He's put up standard tiles 300x600 so nothing in porcelain:)

13. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Not porcelain - what make of tile are they at 600x300 - I'am new to this.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Matchless Plumb

Ceramic tiles Marco Polo e stone

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. timeless john

IMG_0273.PNG
    It says porcelain - not many ceramic at 600 as they bend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mapei UK Marketing

Mapei UK Marketing Tilers Forums Official Sponsor TF Official Sponsor

Hi Ron,

Based on the information supplied, Mapei Adesilex P9 is a standard setting adhesive which take a minimum of 24 hours to cure, however this can potentially be affected by moisture or temperature levels in the environment.

In this instance we would advise leaving it another 24 hours with plenty of air flow to help remove the moisture to aid in the curing process.

We hope that this information is of benefit to you and if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on 0121 508 69700 (option 2)
    Hi Ron,

Based on the information supplied, Mapei Adesilex P9 is a standard setting adhesive which take a minimum of 24 hours to cure, however this can potentially be affected by moisture or temperature levels in the environment.

In this instance we would advise leaving it another 24 hours with plenty of air flow to help remove the moisture to aid in the curing process.

We hope that this information is of benefit to you and if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on 0121 508 69700 (option 2)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Matchless Plumb

Thank you so much for the advises. It's much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Matchless Plumb

I have got those sandy coloured 300x600 tiles. I am going to take a picture today.

I will keep you posted later on.

Thanks again for the massive helps here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Matchless Plumb

My tiler has finished to put all the rest tog tiles up. Do I need to wait 24h to prior to grouting? Ideally I need to finish the bathroom today. However due to the tanking ( Ardex ) we cannot fully grout as the last 2 rows are done today ? Is that correct or are we able to put the grout ?

20. Matchless Plumb

Here some pics

image.jpg image.jpg