Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Lithofin Stain stop on marble in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Thewhopper92

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello!
My wife and I just installed a new Carrara Marble kitchen work surface.
I've seen a lot of positive reviews about the Lithofin Stain stop. However, I am very curious on what staining it can repel and how long for?

Hypothetically,
if red wine accidentally dripped on the surface without knowing it. How long could it be on the surface before staining or etching took place?

Many thanks.
Paul :)

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi , mn stain stop like any impregnators reppels only water and oil based contamination. We state "does not hold acidic damage "on the bottle. These can protect for 4-5 years - if correctly maintained!!!! Some claim longer;)
Acidics can burn through an impregnator very quickly- seconds to -0-15 minutes- dependant on acidic strength of contaminant. Wines possible 2-7 min.
The main issue is what type of stone is under the impregnator , if you have a granite, most of these are acidic resistant( not all) if the contamination breaks the impregnator on these , you generally do not see any damage to the stones (dull spots or ring marks) as the stone self repells. any marble ( calcium based) this will take very little time to cut into the stone.
Tips for a marble work surface; dont use it, it will look great

Always use a cutting board or protection Matt
Always immediately remove any spilages
Always remove loose water, don't leave washing up on the drain area, remove this and dry ,as it encourages water staining and salt traces , also traces of washing up liquid contain salts and these can break down impregnators .
Don't use aggressive household cleaners or scale removers
Use the correct maintenance products to look after the impregnator and the stone, which ever brand you use.

You didn't state , polished or honed?

OP
T

Thewhopper92

Hi @Lithofin BOB,
Sorry, the surface is polished.
Okay, so it's highly dependant on what substance is spilled and the type of stone.

So to recap. The Lithofin MN Stain Stop is better than having no protection, but you still wouldn't want to leave anything on the surface for more than 5-10 minutes? - Just to be safe.
Oh, and I've seen that there are two different versions. Is there any difference in strength with the ECO version? - I'm not too confident working with solvents.

I feel I should of researched it a bit more instead of being caught up in the "look" of it instead of practicality.

Thank you for helping me :)

Kindest regards,
Paul

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
if you prefer to use water based ,this would be fine - i think in this situation with this type of stone ,i would still use the MN (solvent based).

you need something in this top, even polished these still are very porous. 5-10 mins may be to long dependant on contamination, always try to keep on top of spillages asap if you want to keep in a full polished state,

these tops are beautiful, to keep in a perfect state there just are a few general rules, which will help you to maintain its look.

Reply to Lithofin Stain stop on marble in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock