Discuss Liquid membrane over formed tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Kristian

Hi. I've bought the Impey formed tray. Looking at tanking kits, the Impey one (roll out membrane) would cost me about £450 while an alternative liquid kit, by Everbuild Aquaseal will cost me under £100. (15 sqm).

Do I just treat the formed tray like any other floor when applying the liquid membrane, in other words, do I just tape over any cracks/joins then paint it on? I see that the aquaseal kit comes with a small piece of non-liquid membrane to fit around the waste.

I'm just checking I'm not doing something stupid! Thanks.

D

Dumbo

If youdont want to use impey membrane is it possible you can take back tray and use a different system like wedi etc

F

Flintstone

Impey tray - impey membrane. Why risk it to save a few quid? This is the most vital part of the whole job

O

One Day

The way I have done this, when I've HAD to tile onto Impey trays (I'm not a fan) is to abrade the tray with sandpaper, then use a mosaic trowel to spread (either/or)
1) Ardex WP + Mapeiguard wp200
2) Schluter Kerdi-coll L +kerdi membrane

I can't see any air-drying liquid bonding at all to the impey tray.

K

Kristian

ok thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm thinking to use an impey membrane around the tray area and liquid everywhere else. The cost savings are huge, not just a few quid.

C

cuemanlew

personally I have been fitting Impey trays for years, mainly for vinyl floors for councils but I have also done some tiled wetrooms with the Impey tanking kits and trays and I can highly recommend them. Doing a tiled wetroom at the moment using this kit, I will put some pics up soon

Q

Qwerty

personally I have been fitting Impey trays for years, mainly for vinyl floors for councils but I have also done some tiled wetrooms with the Impey tanking kits and trays and I can highly recommend them. Doing a tiled wetroom at the moment using this kit, I will put some pics up soon

Do share your photos of before, during & after. It will be interesting to see what your interpretation of 'tanking' is with the @Impey Showers waterguard membrane....... whether you only lap the joint tape up the wall 75mm and claim to the customer that it is now fully waterproof or whether you do what must of us conscientious tilers do and fully waterproof the wet area? An interesting debate had recently with Impey!!!

O

One Day

I sort out many failed wetrooms. I'd say 9/10 are Impey poorly installed with inadequate (if any) waterproofing. The other 1/10 is Wedi - easily available for installation by the inept.

I've yet to come across a failed Schluter tray, but that's probably as they are STILL hard to purchase!

C

cuemanlew

Most Wetroom/shower tray failures happen where the grout cracks, usually corners, so I always make sure that tanking covers the complete shower area including up the walls.

Reply to Liquid membrane over formed tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks