Discuss Laying quartz Tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Planespotter

Hi please forgive my ignorance ,im looking for a few pointers with my new kitchen floor,i've taken up the old tiles and chipped away all the old adhesive and im ready to lay my new floor.
I've chosen
MAPEI KERAQUICK RAPID-SET FLEXIBLE TILE ADHESIVE
and
MAPEI LATEX PLUS
Is this correct ??I need all the help I can get as im a complete novice
Any help would be greatly appreciated

T

Tile Shop

Yes that is correct, but if you are a novice, to start with, I would be inclined to measure out the adhesive and additive into smaller batches so you can concentrate on getting it right.

Main thing is to keep the correct ratio between the powder and the liquid so have some scales on hand along with a measuring jug. The last thing you want is to mix up a whole bag, then lay 5 tiles, adjust them to your liking, to find it is beginning to set in the bucket.

Take your time and get it right, because the combination of tiles and adhesive you have is an expensive one to get wrong....... no pressure :)

T

Tile Shop

With the powder that is. Zero water. Have a look on mapeis website and download the tds for both the keraquick and the latex plus. It'll give you the correct amounts on there.

From memory, every application i've seen for the latex plus is that its a substitute for water. Not sure if you can use half and half. What do the quartz suppliers recommend?

Some will say "latex based adhesive" and others will say "low water content adhesive". Going for the 100% latex is by far the safest for either.

P

Planespotter

With the powder that is. Zero water. Have a look on mapeis website and download the tds for both the keraquick and the latex plus. It'll give you the correct amounts on there.

From memory, every application i've seen for the latex plus is that its a substitute for water. Not sure if you can use half and half. What do the quartz suppliers recommend?

Some will say "latex based adhesive" and others will say "low water content adhesive". Going for the 100% latex is by far the safest for either.

Yes I think your right 100% latex for me, on the can of latex it says 1.5kg of latex plus with 5kg of powder,i'll let you know how I get on ,starting monday ,if I mess up you can come and help ,your close enough (hehehe) only joking
kind regards

O

Old Mod

We have an excellent fitter in the Bedford area if you get into difficulties.
But definitely as advised, mix small batches at a time, this would never be classed as a diy adhesive.
You'll need to achieve as near to a full bed as possible.
Trowel the floor in one direction only, left to right is easiest, then using the back edge of the trowel apply a skim of adhesive on the back of the tile. Make sure the back of the tile is dust free, even wipe the back with a lightly damp sponge first. (Not wet)
Place it in the adhesive and move it perpendicular to the direction of the troweled adhesive on the floor, at least the distance of the width of each individual rib of adhesive. This will collapse the ribs and help form a full bed.
Starting off I wouldn't trowel any more adhesive on the floor greater than enough for two tiles, and take it from there.
Good luck.

P

Planespotter

Just a quick one,ive bought 6 bags of 10kg mapei keraquick,each bag was £15.29 from screwfix and 12 bottles of latex plus at £12.99.
Is there any other mapei adhesive I can use as there's loads for the same price but in 20kg bags,or is the keraquick the only one you can mix latex plus with ??
regards

P

Planespotter

It's unlikely to be enough, you can't cut corners with these materials. It must be done correctly.
Quartz can be troublesome.

Ok thank you for your advice, A really great forum with lots of advice,i'll be back with some questions about glitter grout,my wifes bought 2 tubs of the stuff but I cant find any info on the company on these forums ,the company is called Staffordshire silicones

P

Planespotter

Finally finished,im going to do epoxy glitter grout today,my kids hate it but at least the dogs happy

IMAG1022.jpg IMAG1024.jpg IMAG1023.jpg

P

Planespotter

Ive now completed tiling my kitchen ,may I just say a big thank you to everyone who's offered advice,it was invaluable and I would not have attempted it without it.
Also to Miss tiler who helped me with the epoxy glitter grout,I was very apprehensive at first but with information and advice from Sharon I managed it
Thank you all

IMAG1033.jpg

Reply to Laying quartz Tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks