Discuss Lay over top of existing floor tiles or pull up?? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Hi there
I am looking to lay new tiles in my kitchen / dinning room, its 1 room of approx 32m2

Currently down on the floor is a porcelain tile (Valls) with a riven rough finish. These have been down for at least 9 years and there is no moment or cracking etc image below shows one that hadnt been laid (found in loft).

Floor looks to be level, all be it slightly uneven due to the riven effect of the current tile. I am looking to install a 90 x 15cm wood effect porcelain tile.

My question is would you suggest pulling them all up and prep the base floor (90s built house), perhaps SLC then lay? Or would you recommend laying over the top of existing, if so with what gear? The additional level shouldn't be too much of an issue as the doorway threshold / wood floor is slightly higher anyway?
Kitchen is coming out so would be a bare floor, although misses is already stressing about the job and being without a kitchen for too long!
DSC_3694.JPG
DSC_3695.JPG
DSC_3697.JPG
DSC_3702.JPG
DSC_3703.JPG

Q

Qwerty

Personally I would take them all up and start again. Is that a wood floor I see in your hallway? I assume the heights between the two surfaces are about the same?

average

TF
Reaction score
No one can give an exact answer. Ive seen jobs where people have laid tiles on tiles and its lasted decades and have seen others do it and there have been problems. Th cheaper option s to lay on top however sometimes the cheapest isnt the best way to go. Thou in saying that, it can work. Its all down to whether you want to take the chance.

Reply to Lay over top of existing floor tiles or pull up?? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks