Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Largest floor tiles laid in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Tommygun_ski

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys. I am trying to find information about the largest floor tiles that was ever laid in Britain. Anything bigger than 3m x 1m and standard 10 - 12mm thick. Thanks for your help. Thomas

OP
W

White Room

Hi guys. I am trying to find information about the largest floor tiles that was ever laid in Britain. Anything bigger than 3m x 1m and standard 10 - 12mm thick. Thanks for your help. Thomas

At that thickness you'd be struggling to fix unless helped with a support system and about 6 burly helpers.

OP
T

Tommygun_ski

I am just curious if anyone laid or seen anything bigger than this as we were told those tiles are the largest format ever laid in Britain so far. I don't want to take a credit for that as I heard someone is manufacturing even larger format but only 3.5mm thick. Those iles are 3.2 x 1.2 m and 12mm thick. Each weight around 240kg. This is extremely dense porcelain with nano glass reflective finish layer. We did fix them using only suckers without any frames. Leveled with rubi tile level quick and cut with flex cs60.
IMAG0895.jpg

OP
T

Tommygun_ski

Do you want to see how they were lifted up the first floor? We have now on the floor 6 tons of tiles and a ton of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
IMAG0882.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Colour Republic

Neolith have slab sizes of both 3.65 x 1.25 and also 3.2 x 1.5. I've never laid that size but i've seen it done, in the UK too. Yours are pretty close and a lovely job, but sadly you were told incorrectly. Although don't want to take anything away from you pal;)

OP
T

Tommygun_ski

I knew that some manufacturers do larger formats but only heard about ultra thin porcelain like ecoporcelain or that casa florim oversize. Yeah. Client got slightly overexcited

OP
L

LM

This is getting silly, we'd be better off perfecting the polishing of stained concrete or improving resin floors.
This is factories measuring d^*ks.
There's a place for large formats, but this is getting silly, most people wouldn't know they were looking at a tile.
I think the cost, environmental and H&S implications of this will be its demise.
I could think of dozens of analogies to describe how silly this is getting!

OP
C

Colour Republic

It's because some of these tiles weren't meant to be tiles in the first place @LEE MAC For example Neolith like I mentioned above is a sintered stone (a type of porcelain pressed under extreme measures) It is used a hell of a lot as a worktop, in fact that's its main market, but it also doubles up as building clading and extreme format tiles. It's not so much that they were trying to produce huge tiles, it's more it over spilled in to that market.

Reply to Largest floor tiles laid in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock