Discuss Large wall tile trowel. in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Drifterjoe

Hi guys.

Advice on the best trowel to get 100% coverage?

Going to install a shower area with 600x300 porcelain tiles. I'm thinking as they are a heavy larger tile I should use the 10mm notched trowel, and back skim. The wall will be pretty flat as I'm reboarding.

Is this better or as good as using a dedicated solid bed trowel? I have a 6mm notched solid bed trowel that I'm thinking is too thin, and a 20x10 u-notch floor trowel that I'm thinking is too much??

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers Joe

S

SJPurdy

I'd be starting with 8mm notch and back skimming. Check that this gives a solid bed on the first tiles fitted and then assuming it does continue with the rest. Only if the tiles or wall are twisted/bowed will this fail to give good coverage/contact to the whole tile; in which case a larger notch might help.

O

Old Mod

The substrate and tile backing generally dictate trowel size when fitting.
Rough substrate and rough backed tile will require deeper notch etc than a smooth substrate and a smooth back tile.
There's no absolute fixed rule really. Just need to apply sufficient adhesive for the situation, without exceeding the adhesive manufacturers recommendation on maximum adhesive depth.
But yes, always back butter/skim tiles before fixing, it increases bond strength significantly and aids in achieving a full bed.
You can alway use one size trowel on the wall, and a smaller. Itch on the tile to achieve your full bed.
Experiment initially and see what works best without overloading with adhesive.
Too much can be as bad as too little sometimes.

O

Old Mod

I'd be starting with 8mm notch and back skimming. Check that this gives a solid bed on the first tiles fitted and then assuming it does continue with the rest. Only if the tiles or wall are twisted/bowed will this fail to give good coverage/contact to the whole tile; in which case a larger notch might help.
Hahaha you following me Steve?

F

Flintstone

I'd be supprised if an 8mm trowel gave anything like 100%
I would pick up the 6x12mm trowel first off and try that or a 10mm notch. The mix you have will also have a bearing, just thick enough that it's not slumping too much

M

MILLER669

I'd be supprised if an 8mm trowel gave anything like 100%
I would pick up the 6x12mm trowel first off and try that or a 10mm notch. The mix you have will also have a bearing, just thick enough that it's not slumping too much
Where can you buy a 6 x 12mm trowel? Been looking for one but can't find one anywhere!!

D

Drifterjoe

Cut your own from a 6mm trowel. Just lay another 6mm trowel over the top and draw round the notches as a guide.

F

Flintstone

I cut my own with 12mm deep notches with rounded corners and 6mm wide. You can buy them, ragni trowel they are called

O

Old Mod

I cut my own with 12mm deep notches with rounded corners and 6mm wide. You can buy them, ragni trowel they are called
Need a new tape Andy, aren't they 10 x 4mm?
IMG_8282.JPG IMG_8283.JPG

This is a little worn.

Reply to Large wall tile trowel. in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks