Discuss Large format, small bathroom! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Did this small bathroom few weeks back, returned today to take a few snaps.
Shame he hadn't fitted the toilet seat! Haha
1200 X 600 x 10mm
No trims or architrave around the door, client wanted a shadow gap, so two L shaped top cuts were hand polished to resemble factory finish as much as possible.
Mitred edges on external edge under cabinet.
And not ONE full tile.
Super fussy client, when I asked the thickness of the tile and door frame to be fitted, he produced a digital micrometer on both occasions!
Wasn't as accurate as mine tho!
Made me smile!
I did like the shower diverter tho, very slick,
there's a second one outside the room too.

IMG_7756.JPG IMG_7757.JPG IMG_7758.JPG IMG_7759.JPG IMG_7761.JPG IMG_7762.JPG IMG_7754.JPG IMG_7768.JPG IMG_7767.JPG IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7567.JPG

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd like to do some of this extra large format stuff my self but I never get asked I've dropped a few hints to a builder I do loads of work for as the tile showroom he uses have some on display so nudge nudge to him and hopfully in the new year ill get to buy some new tools to fit and cut

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
He was stood there for 2-3hrs a day Andy!
He was a nice enough guy, he'd invested a lot of time and effort in designing his room, and it'd cost a pretty penny, so I didn't mind too much.
I don't mind customers watching me I love a good chat I do haha

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Top work again Marc, looks like toilet and bathroom knocked into one. Done a few of those and I hate the fact you have 2 small windows instead of one largeish one. :handok:

O

Old Mod

Lovely job Marc, what sort of time frame did that involve?
Cheers Lee, well the client had very specific ideas on the look he wanted to achieve, so longer than you'd want it to, as always. :)
So everyday some of the time was taken up by either explaining why that idea would or wouldn't work and then discussing the next step to be taken.
Even when it came down to explaining the procedure for the UFH.
He'd already purchased everything from research he'd done!!
So we all know how that turns out!:confused:
He'd even purchased plastic ply because he'd worked out that the floor needed lifting by 2mm!
Shame you can't use it with electric UFH eh! Haha
(It actually had to be lifted 12mm, he hadn't factored in that the tiles weren't exactly 600mm high.)
So you can see what a painful process it was going to be.
It was a third floor flat with all materials stored in his garage 200m away, and no lift! Good start!
The box for the radiator for example, in his original idea it was built with it to the left of centre so that the right hand reveal of the window was flush with the left face of the box, this meant the rad would overhang the right side of the box!
I'm sorry, but I couldn't let that happen, and it took a few days to convince him that he was making a mistake, then it was the couple of days waiting for him to move it.
I also had to tell him exactly where to move it to, to the mm.
every part had to be explained in detail, he had to understand it before he'd let me continue and deviate from his original idea.
I wanted a closer over the door instead of the L cuts so I could just take factory edges straight up either side of the door because he refused to use trim or architrave, he wouldn't budge on that so I had to polish back the L cuts in to something acceptable.
And so it continued..... the micrometer was a good touch tho!
I have broken a few set out rules, but that's where I couldn't convince him otherwise, he was having none of it. Haha
The only wall that wasn't boarded over was the new door wall, he's having a pocket door fitted.
Had to board all around the windows too.
And took two days off in the middle to do another job.
So start to finish, including the two days off, it was 10days.
It didn't matter tho, I'd already picked up on how challenging this was going to be, and had priced it accordingly. So for once, it really didn't matter how long it took, and I could give him all the attention he desired to achieve his look.
And no, it wasn't daywork, it was on price.
I must admit tho, I actually think it looks stunning, he had a pretty good vision of what he wanted to achieve, and it worked, with a little tweaking.

Ooow sorry about that, didn't realise I'd said so much! Haha
You can tell I've not been posting lately haha

O

Old Mod

Top work again Marc, looks like toilet and bathroom knocked into one. Done a few of those and I hate the fact you have 2 small windows instead of one largeish one. :handok:
Appreciate that John, thanks
Yeah it is, it's a small apartment block built in the 70's.

Reply to Large format, small bathroom! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks