Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Large Format Limestone Wall Tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Scott Devenish

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Morning - I'm about to start a wet room in a couple of weeks using large format limestone tiles (600x600x20mm) which will be my first time using this size and type of tile.
If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be much appreciated.
These are to be set on the walls, not floor. They are a hefty weight and I wondered if I will need to perhaps allow the first course of tiles to set before moving higher up the wall (if that makes sense?)
Sorry if I sound like a complete newbie (but I am! Lol), I just want to make sure I get it right and don't mess it up. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

Old Mod

Are you prepping the wet room?
Do you know what you're tile on to?
That will have an approximate weight of 60Kgm2!!

OP
S

Scott Devenish

Are you prepping the wet room?
Do you know what you're tile on to?
That will have an approximate weight of 60Kgm2!!
Im removing the existing tiles first, so will only know what the substrate is like once they're off. Possibly have to install backer board?

OP
O

Old Mod

You will need a substrate capable of holding such a heavy tile, Hardie would be suitable.
is it an actual wet room or just a shower with tray?

OP
S

Scott Devenish

You will need a substrate capable of holding such a heavy tile, Hardie would be suitable.
is it an actual wet room or just a shower with tray?
It's an existing wet room - very dated ... See couple of pictures

image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
S

Scott Devenish

Nope, it's staying ... For now. They've been given the "posh" tiles by a family member from a high end tile shop on kinds road London and waiting to see if they can get some more. So they want to keep the existing old floor for now

OP
O

Old Mod

I wonder if they know what they're letting themselves in for by being given this material.
That's all the walls stripped back to stud work and replaced. Tanking of the walls. Hardie is not waterproof.
And you're going to have to pay particular attention to the new join in the transition between wall and floor. This will now be a weak point in the install if the floor is to remain.
U may find u'll have to remove some of the floor tiles on the wet side of the room to ensure you get a correct seal between wall and floor.
Otherwise that will be the first place it will fail.
in fact do you know what you're letting urself in for, being as you've described yourself as a newbie?
Not trying to put u down or anything, but be 100% sure of what u are doing or there could be very costly mistakes to you.

OP
S

Scott Devenish

Thank you for your help and honesty. Im always open minded and as a "newbie" will always accept others advice.
I have told the customer that this isn't a simple remove tiles and replace with the limestone, so they know it's a bigger project than they first expected.
I'm not going to lie, it's a little nerve racking this one. As being fairly new to the game, this is by far the biggest challenge I've had to face so to speak. Thanks again

Reply to Large Format Limestone Wall Tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock